Love-struck - Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

The entrance was cracked open a little and they could hear the mayor's gravelly voice inside, muttering to himself. As they drew closer, a few words drifted from the office, freezing Y/N to the spot, her hand poised, ready to knock. Laxus noticed her hesitation and raised his eyebrows in question. She shook her head dubiously, her wide eyes unable to focus on her surroundings. Surely she had misheard the mayor's words...

"May Lord Zeref return."

A shiver ran down her back and she flinched as though stabbed with a poker as Laxus leaned over her and rapped sharply on the dense wood. The short, elderly man answered at once. He stepped back with his arms spread open in welcome. Catching her horrified reflection in his glasses, Y/N painted a kind smile on her face and extended herself to her full height before stepping inside.

"Welcome! Good morning to you both," he boomed. "I thought I'd check in and see how things are going with that blasted beast." He sank into a grand, leather chair behind his desk and rested his chin on his palm, giving them his full attention. If he is an old member of the commune, Y/N thought while taking in his suede suit with thick brass buttons, he certainly didn't live a similar lifestyle now. Laxus clearly had his own opinion on the man and the mayor's eagerness wavered momentarily when he snorted in disgust and crossed his arms.

"You know, I don't remember agreeing to help in the first place," he sneered, eyes locked onto the wrinkled face.

Y/N thought she saw a flicker of annoyance harden the mayor's gaze, but his smile grew in reply and he nodded sympathetically.

"You are right," he said softly, his face forlorn. "I speak on behalf of all the citizens here when I say I sincerely apologise for the way we treated you when you arrived. As I explained to your companion, we are tired of living in fear of the beast, and being unable to fight, back since none of us have any real magic talent, has made us quite desperate."

"Fine," Laxus held out his hand after a long pause and the mayor took it. "I agree to help on the condition that we get the money you mentioned to my... companion. Oh, and if you try anything I don't agree with, I will make everyone here pay the price." An amber spark shot through his fingers, and the mayor flinched, quickly releasing his grip.

Not waiting for any more pleasantries, Laxus regaled the details of their attempt to confront the wyvern yesterday and Y/N took the opportunity to closely examine the interior. The natural cavern walls were hidden behind large bookcases stuffed with famous titles, moth-eaten tapestries and a large variety of aged paintings. The mayor was seemingly a collector who took pride in the facade his objects offered him. She strolled around the bookcases, scanning the musty contents. Laxus gave her an inconspicuous glance as she completed the full circle, ending up back by his side and letting out a small sigh of relief. There were no apparent links to her past here. No demonic statues. No black books.

"Well, I wish you luck," said the mayor, pulling Y/N from her thoughts. "I do hope you can help us. A word of warning before you go, some of these buildings are old and unstable. Best to stay on solid ground if you have a choice."

He regarded her with a fixed grin, his eyes narrowing as if he could read her thoughts. She nodded at him in farewell before following Laxus out into the passageway.

***

The monstrous beast glided in circles around the decrepit church tower, its beady eyes transfixed onto the glittering, gold bell within. Y/N and Laxus clambered out the entrance to the caves below and took shelter in a shallow doorway behind the church, hidden from view.

"Okay, let's think of a plan," said Y/N, her eyes glued to the massive, winged creature as it perched on top of the tower roof. "I say we-"

She felt the air shift next to her and whipped around just in time to see Laxus rush into the street, golden energy crackling menacingly around him.