Chapter 3: Return To Darkveil

Start from the beginning

"It is not the time for that right now, Esther."

"Apologies. Still, he was the one who first suggested that I give Carla superpowers. I can still remember the day he made the proposition to me. Or.....the night, rather. Has he already been buried?"

"He died about a year ago, and the funeral was a week after that," Dave replied. "We're getting by, but both of us could use some help. Carla, especially."

"First the girl's mother, Martha.....then her grandfather, Alfred.....then her younger brother, Murray......" Valeria lamented. "I can only imagine what she.....what both of you.....must be going through."

Carla's voice was audibly shaking. "You don't have to imagine. Because I'm living it."

The countess looked over at Dave. "I take it that's why you came to see us?"

"We just wanted to check up on Darkveil and see how it's been doing," Dave reported. "You mentioned wanting to show us around sometime? Maybe that can wait until morning; I've arranged for us to stay here for quite a while. A couple days, at the very least."

"Of course. You and your daughter will forever have our hospitality, after all you have done for the people of Darkveil. We will continue to provide you with love, comfort, and support for as long as you need," Valeria vowed. "Esther, come. We'll stop here for the night, then show them inside."

Esther bowed. "Right away, Countess."

He and Valeria briefly left to put away their gardening gear in the nearby shed while Carla and Dave made for their car and unloaded their luggage. When the quartet came back together again, Valeria unlocked the front door and allowed Esther to lead them into the house, with her being the last one in and closing the door again behind her.

***********************************************************************************************

"Wait until the Order of Blood hears that you're back," Valeria commented as she, Carla, Dave, and Esther all walked up the stairs to the manor's second floor. "Remus, Jet, Percy, and the rest of the werewolves have continued to protect Darkveil all while keeping you close to their hearts. Though you chose to leave.....they never forgot you."

"Ahhh.....hahaha....." Carla chuckled nervously, hesitant to tell Esther and the countess that she hadn't saved anyonemuch less turned into Nightclaweven once since Murray's tragic passing. "I haven't forgotten them, either. But.....are you sure that they'll remember me? I haven't heard anything from them over the past few years, not even telepathically."

"Dear girl.....the moment you step into the Order's camp again, everyone will practically be rushing towards you," Valeria promised. "You are legendary among the werewolves' ranks; you inspired them to change their very philosophy. A philosophy that they have held onto for eons."

"I suppose so. Guess I'll find out whenever I head out tonight." She looked to her father for approval. "I can go out tonight, right?"

Dave promptly gave a thumbs-up as his response. "Even if it's just to see the rest of the Order, it's okay with me. Valeria, Esther, and I will be fine here."

Then, the four of them reached the second floor.

***********************************************************************************************

Valeria showed Dave to the master bedroom and Carla to a second bedroom across the hall; the same ones they had stayed in during their last visit to Darkveil. However, they barely had time to place their bags down when the countess called them back into the hallway again.

"If you two have the time.....there is something else I must show you. Or rather.....someone else. Two people, actually. You may not recognize them.....but some people on the outside probably will," Valeria informed. "If they have done their reading."

Carla's eyes lit up somewhat. "New people? Neat. I could stand to expand my friend circle a little."

Meanwhile, Dave was just confused. "'Some people on the outside'? 'If they have done their reading'? What do you mean?"

Valeria simply chuckled without giving an answer, before guiding Carla and Dave to the other end of the hall and bringing them to a second guest room. Nodding to Esther to have him open the door, the wizened scientist promptly did so, revealing a third bedroom with opened suitcases and several sets of clothes placed haphazardly around the area.

Sitting on the side of the bed were two vampires nestled close to each other; one female and one male, with both of them intently watching a video on the male's new phone.

The female vampire had long, dark hair tied into a thick French braid swept over one of her shoulders and a lovely-looking white flower pinned into said hair on the left-hand side. She wore a yellow inner T-shirt, a black suit top that was open in the front, leopard-print leggings, and white shoes, with a flute sheathed on one of her hips and a silenced pistol holstered on the other. Like the vampire sitting next to her—as well as all other vampires—she had deathly-pale skin and a pair of fangs on full display.

The male vampire also had dark hair, but shaped in a rather Mohawk-like style instead, opting to dress in a black suit with a red inner vest and gold buttons. He was holding his phone up so both he and the female vampire could see the video on it, and he also had an electric guitar with red and white coloring strapped onto his back.

Upon realizing that some visitors had come to their guest room, they immediately got up and greeted them.

"Hi!" the female vampire chirped with a wave. "I'm Lily Ladair, and this is my partner, Theo Ladair!"