eleven

after the emotional rollercoaster cora had the day before, she was excited to have some sense of 'normalcy' in her day today. her, glenn, noah, and a few others were going on a supply run just like old days. the power in the safe zone has been going out, so the group had been assigned to pick up spare parts.

once they got to the warehouse, aiden and nicholas were being difficult. "you guys can feel free to check the perimeter. me and nicholas are just going to go right in," aiden was saying.

"and what will you do when theres a hoard of walkers waiting for you?" glenn asked them. it was blatantly obvious that glenn was getting fed up with the duo.

nicholas and aiden stood there, sizing glenn up. "this is how we've always done things and we are still alive," nicholas said to glenn. the rest of the group stood there in disbelief.

"you might not have gotten hurt yet," cora started, getting all three of their attentions. "but do you want to chance it again? we are in a bigger group than your normal one and this arguing is just attracting more attention." aiden and nicholas stared her down, much like they did with glenn.

"fine," aiden said, looking cora up and down. "but only for you, sweatheart."

***

after reconnaissance, the group moved inside the warehouse. while looking in the back of the warehouse, cora heard shots. her reflexes made her pull out her knife until she heard glenn yell "aiden, stop!" cora holstered her knife and rushed to the front where she saw aiden shooting a walker over and over again, no shot fatal.

"what? i'm-" the walker must have had a grenade on his hip because the whole room exploded.

cora collided with something hard, probably a wall or a shelf. when she came to, cora's head was spinning and there was ringing in her ear. the room was destroyed, her friends thrown around the room. "glenn. glenn are you okay?" he was the first person she crawled to. he didn't respond at first and cora thought the worst. she couldn't imagine what she would do if something bad happened to him right now. "glenn, sit up. come on." glenns eyes opened and he was fine, just a scratch on his head. "thank god, here." cora tore off the cuff off her sleeve for glenn to put on his wound. "apply pressure."

cora left him and checked on noah, who was fine, just the same ringing as cora. nicholas, who was just dizzy. eugene, who- "help! cora over here!" it sounded urgent so cora rushed over, brushing over the impaled aiden on the wall. eugene was bent over a limp body, it was tara.

"tara," cora joined eugene next to her. "tara, open your eyes. come on, i just need you to open your eyes." thankfully, tara opened her eyes slightly. "good, that's good." cora directed eugene to carry tara to a table kn the other room, away from any other walkers. glenn, nicholas, and noah quickly joined.

"oh my god. oh my god," noah was pacing down the length of the room with his hands on his head. he stopped by glenn, who was staring out the observation window.

"what's going on?" cora asked as she tore off another piece of fabric from her jacket to wrap around tara's head, who had fallen back unconscious.

"aiden got impaled during the explosion," eugene said with his eyes glued on tara.

"you didn't see it?" glenn asked.

"no. i was a little worried about you and tara," she told him. glen seemed to forget he was holding the fabric to his head so when he took it off, the bleeding had stopped.

"he just moved!" nicholas suddenly exclaimed. in his silence, cora forgot he was there. "i'm going to help him. he needs help." nicholas opened the door and started going out before glenn stopped him.

"nicholas, he's gone. he was impaled," glenn told him, solemnly. but then, there was a noise from outside the room. a cry for help. from aiden. nicholas looked back at glenn before running out. glenn and noah followed closely while eugene and cora stayed with tara.

"i wish i could go out there," eugene said to the room a little while later. "im just too much of a coward."

cora turned away from the mirror and looked at him. "you can't beat yourself up about that. you are here, you got up the courage to come here. thats progress," cora told him. "plus, tara needs you right now." eugene smiled and agreed.

cora turned back to the mirror, watching what was going on, thinking she should be out there to help them. her eyes landed on a window leading outside. "eugene," cora said. "come here." eugene joined her in looked out the window. "do you see that door over there? there's a straight on path out to the van. the walkers are busy so i think you can run tara out to the van."

"i-i dont know if i can. i just-"

"no, eugene. you can. i believe you. tara believes you," cora told him.

"okay," eugene picked up tara and went to the door. "i can do this." eugene left the room, running fir the outside door. cora followed him, except she was running for the grouo helping aiden.

"be careful guys, you dont want to do anymore damage," cora told them.

"you dont think we fucking know that!" nicholas yelled.

"hey! shes a doctor she knows what she's talking about," glenn scolded him.

aiden screamed in pain for probably the fifth time. "we can't do this, we're hurting him more." nicholas stepped back in defeat. noah stepped back as well, leaving cora and glenn to try to get aiden free.

"guys, walkers," noah warned. cora and glenn turned to where noah was facing and he was right. a hoard or walkers broke through a fence and were on their way to the group.

"guys," aiden said. "le-leave me. i dese-deserve it. listen. the last..." aiden stopped talking and closed his eyes.

"aiden wake up, come on," cora said, lightly hitting his cheek to wake him up.

his eyes opened, examining the room. "im the reason the other four are dead. you guys just go." glenn stepped back from aiden, leaving only cora trying to save him.

"cora, come on," glenn said.

"we can't leave him," cora insisted. she tried her hardest to keep aiden steady on the pipes.

"cora," glenn put a hand on her shoulder. "come on. he's gone and the walkers are getting closer." cora checked aiden's pulse. glenn was right he was dead and the walkers were gaining on them.

"okay." cora stepped down from her step feeling defeated. ever since getting to alexandria, she has wanted nothing more than to be one of the medics. how can she want that when she can't save this one person? "let's go out this way. i sent eugene with tara out this door, straight for the van." glenn nodded and the four of them started that way. cora hadn't seen the walkers until she was out the door. they swarmed around her. thankfully, she had her knife drawn, attacking the five that were around her.

"cora!" she heard glenn yell from inside.

"find another way out! i've got this!" she yelled back. through the walkers, cora saw glenn, noah, and nicholas run in the opposite direction.

in no time, cora had killed the remaining walkers and started her way to the van where eugene and tara were waiting.

***

a/n
glenn/cora is an underrated duo‼️🔥