thirteen

"finally, you're awake," cora said as she entered rick's room. deanna put him in a secluded room to calm him down before he did anything else he would regret.

"what are you..." rick trailed, noticing the medical supplies in cora's hand.

"well, seen as you and the doctor beat each other half to death, deanna figured i'm the only other one qualified to give medical help," cora explained. she sat herself on the edge of the bed as rick sat up. she pulled out small alcohol pads that the kit had and a few pieces of gauze.

"i'm glad that my manic episode, as you called it, made deanna come to her senses about your skills," rick told her.

"wow thanks. you're just my number one supporter aren't you?" cora said sarcastically. "now sit still." cora carried on fixing his wounds in silence. "okay. good as new."

"i wasn't the one who started the fight, just so you know," rick told her.

"alright," cora said, putting her supplies back into their case. "just so you know, i dont think it was a bad idea to get into the fight. i'm not as close to jessie as you are and even i could see how awful pete treated her. i just didnt want you to get yourself killed. or kicked out of here." rick just looked at her. not how he did earlier when he thought her joke wasn't funny. it was fonder. cora's heart jumped two beats. "get some rest, okay?" cora needed to leave before her heart skipped again. before she started to feel....

***

she reentered ricks room later, after he had woken up, with glenn. her and her friends were having some sort of 'team meeting' about what to do about the safety of the community. carol told everyone about a meeting deanna was holding to figure out what to do with rick. as if he was some sort if disease. "that's bullshit," cora commented under her breath.

"they're guarding the armory," glenn told them. "all we have now are our knives." rick came up with a plan to take deanna, spencer, and reg hostage, threatening them until they unguard the armory. "are you sure?" glenn asked.

"i've reached my linit with what i'm willing to do. i'll do anything," rick told them.

"it may not be the most civil plan, but it's a good plan. it could work," cora said, backing rick up. he looked to her, silently thanking her before making everyone leave so he could get more rest.

***

"mom, hurry up," izzy called up the stairs to cora, who was in one of the bedrooms. when she walked down the stairs, izzy was impatiently waiting at the door.

"you do realize kids aren't allowed at the meeting, right?" cora told izzy.

"are you sure? carl said he's going," izzy protested. thats when carl walked into the room, informing izzy that rick told him to stay here, safe in the house.

"i'll be back later," cora told the two. "please dont venture into the woods tonight." when she walked out the door, maggie was on the sidewalk waiting for cora. "i thought you were with glenn."

"i told him i'd see him at the meeting. come on." maggie and cora started walking and talking about everything that has happened and what was about to happen. everything was so easy with maggie. they didn't have to try with their friendship like cora had to do with so many others. she was truly grateful for her.