Chapter 2: A Young Fairy

Start from the beginning

"And so I've been on my own for a while, hiding in the trees and when I came to get my daily lunch, I spotted you guys washed up along the shore." Yujin said calmly. "But strangely enough, you weren't wet at all even though it seemed like you came from the river" Yujin said.

"So you're surprised that we're not wet... and not by the fact that we have wings?" Hanbin said slowly.

Yujin tilted his head as his eyes gleamed in excitement. "You guys are fairies right? I've been looking for other survivors for ages! How did you guys escape the slaughter?" Yujin asked brightly as Hanbin opened his mouth to intervene.

Matthew put a hand on Hanbin's thigh, effectively shutting him up as he communicated telepathically with Hanbin.

"Yes, uh Yujinnie of course we're fairies. We've been on the run for a while as well, but we somehow ended up in the river and drowned along the way" Matthew laughed, recalling the urge to lie to make Yujin feel better.

He ignored the guilt stirring in his gut as Yujin cried out in joy and leapt into his arms. Matthew held the sobbing fairy as Yujin whimpered "I thought I'd be all alone for the rest of my life."

Matthew held him as Hanbin leant over to pat the poor fairy. "But hey Yujinnie, aren't you hungry?" Matthew asked as he held up the flopping fish.

Yujin beamed as the three of them sought out a campfire, the sun beaming down on their laughter.

"Hyung, there's one right by your feet!" Yujin yelled happily as Matthew bent into the stream and picked up a fish by hand. He added it to their bucket as he felt something wet hit him.

"Yah, Han Yujin!" He screamed as Yujin laughed and ran away. Matthew rolled up his pants as he waddled into the water. He splashed water back on the younger fairy as Hanbin stood on the rocks, grinning at them whilst he started the fire.

"Hurry, Seokmae, Yujinnie, I'm hungry" Hanbin yelled as Matthew gasped and dragged Yujin and their hunts back to shore.

"We can't upset Hanbin when he's leader like" Matthew giggled in Yujin's ear as Hanbin jokingly slapped him.

Hanbin, ever the mum of their new little tight knit group, cooked their fish as they learnt more about Yujin.

"I haven't spoken with fairies for ages, I felt like i was going to stay lonely forever" Yujin said sadly as Matthew patted his back.

A young boy with twisted memories.

Matthew remembered that phrase as he comforted the young boy, having gone through too much for his age. Damn the book for giving such shitty backstories.

"But don't worry Yujin ah, we'll be here together with you!" Hanbin exclaimed as he and Matthew hugged Yujin from either sides.

Yujin clutched both of them as he felt himself cherishing his new friends even more.

With their stomachs full, and the sun setting Hanbin and Matthew glanced at each other worriedly, both sharing the same thought.

"Ah- hyungs don't worry! You guys can stay with me in our family treehouse! There's heaps of space" Yujin said, seeing their conflicted expressions.

Matthew breathed out a sigh of relief as he whispered "thanks yunjin ah, you're the best".

Yujin smiled and led them through the forest. Matthew gasped as he looked at the trees that shone in all different colours. "Ah hyung- that cloud kind of looks like you" Matthew whispered as he pointed upwards to a hamster shaped fluffy white cloud.

Hanbin choked back a laugh as he ruffled Matthew's hair endearingly. "And that one looks like you," he replied, pointing up to a fox shaped cloud. "Are you pointing to the sun cause I shine so brightly?" Matthew teased as Hanbin blushed and refused.