Chapter 47: SQUEEK SQUEEK!

"This child, no wonder you were so intelligent," came a voice from a distance.

When Bowen turned, he saw the sneering face of the baron's butler, who had caught him red-handed. It could be said that Bowen was a little surprised by the unexpected appearance of the butler, but he had already prepared countermeasures in case he faced such a situation. He slowly backed off, raising his hands as if he had been caught, and descended the stairs, creating the illusion that the butler had apprehended him. As he reached the last stair, Bowen suddenly used a quick dash and closed in on the butler in a second. Before the butler could recover from the shock and raise an alarm, Bowen's bone dagger made a simple cut to the butler's throat with a swift "slash." The butler never anticipated such an outcome, as he didn't expect Bowen to be strong. Unable to voice his thoughts, with his carotid artery damaged, the butler quickly succumbed, falling to the ground while clutching his throat, struggling to breathe. Bowen, without much care, put the butler in his space bracelet, as the butler was rendered defenseless and almost unconscious. Wiping his dagger with a rag, Bowen uttered, "Seems like this blunt blade can really cut," with a smile, and casually made his way upstairs, humming a tune in his mind.

"We cannot leave him like that, my lady. He may disrupt our plans for the future," Bowen heard someone speaking in the room. He could easily guess that it was Gram's voice.

"SHUT UP GRAM! Don't waste our lady's time," shouted Perrin.

"But... it's true. Believe me, Xander is neither clever nor that brave. There must be someone helping him. Lady Sasha, please investigate him. It would be better if we get rid of him now," said Gram.

"I SAID SHUT UP!" shouted Perrin again, sounding like a madman. "It's because of you that people laugh behind my back for not quitting my job yet. All of this happened because I believed your words."

"That... that's something unexpected..." But before Gram could finish, the baroness interrupted.

"It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if that measly guard is strong or if he has someone behind him. I am not here to hear your opinions either. All I want are results. Listen carefully, all three of you. I have been concealing my identity as the baroness for one reason only—to make the Raven Gang the most powerful gang of them all. And we have a golden opportunity at hand. If we can fulfill their two conditions, we can become part of the underworld. No one will dare to mess with us then. Even those damn nobles will have to think twice before laying a hand on us."

"Yes, my lady. Our boys are working hard. We have already accumulated 18 gold pieces. We will do our best," said the rough-voiced Deborah.

"Good. I don't care what you do. Rob Aswalt, the nearby towns, villages, merchants, caravans, boats—anything. Deborah, you will present me with 50 gold pieces. Make sure to show me the results within 4 months. Am I clear?"

"Four months... my lady, that is a little..." Gram hesitated. "My lady, then the gang's activities must become more frequent. We guards cannot pretend to turn a blind eye in front of the populace. Moreover, that chief of the guard is an honest person working for the baron. He will definitely order action against the Raven Gang."

"So what?" Perrin laughed. "Hehe... Then all we have to do is kill some guards to reinstate the fear for the Raven Gang. So none of the guards will come forward, just like how I let my colleagues die and came to the position of Knight Captain."

" Also, kill any eyewitnesses along the way. Murders are a really good way to keep people quiet," said the Baroness. "Oh, and for the second condition, is everything prepared?"

"Yes, my lady. The knights are on watch day and night at the harbor. We won't be missing him. I am a hundred percent confident in catching the prey," said Perrin.