Chapter 28: Buying a Sword

"Hi Uncle Toto, how's your day?"

"Great, little one. Are things ready?"

"Yep. The cords are in the store room as usual."

"Alright. You get ready, uncle will load them in the cart."

Bowen got seated on the cart driven by a bull horse, where Uncle Toto is the coachman. Ten days before, when he first wanted to hire a cart to sell his wooden logs, everyone refused to drive for him as they doubted the words of a small kid who was less than 7 years old. They strictly declined Bowen's offer when they knew he was an orphan. They doubted Bowen's capability to pay for the cart. Moreover, they didn't know if Bowen was serious or joking around. It was only Uncle Toto, a man in his 40s, who decided to help Bowen. When Bowen asked why he decided to help him, Toto said, "I first started working when I was your age. I know how cruel this world can be when you are an orphan." Toto even lowered the cart wages from 50 coppers to 40 coppers for Bowen's sake. But Bowen decided to pay him 55 coppers on condition Toto would help him load and unload the log bundle, which was a troublesome job for Bowen with his young body.

Talking about money, he had amassed 3 small silver coins, 58 bronze coins, and 21 coppers from the space rings of Theodore, Bale, and the rogues. Most of it was from Bale and his father. He also got 30 bronze coins in his house locker. It seemed like Felina had been secretly saving for their future. Apart from paying for the cart, his profit from one-time selling the logs is 2 bronze for one trip. Of course, he had trouble finding customers at first, but the evenly cut firewoods soon found their buyers with the help of Bowen's eloquent speech that he had trained a little in his previous life. He would not call himself a good merchant, but he knows his stuff and how to sell them.

Now he is on a trip to the town of Lamport, which is 16 km from Barn. He has already completed the quota of cutting 2500 logs today and got a one-point increase in strength. Once he returns in the evening after selling those logs, he will do running and at the same time deplete his mana. Within 2 hours, they reached the workshop of blacksmith Rephal by letting the bull horse run at full speed.

"On time again. Applause to you, young one," said Rephal, laughing, standing outside his workshop.

"Of course, you are my VIP customer. How can I make you wait?"

"Hahaha..you really have a sweet tongue, kid."

"Same as always, unload all the bundles in the backyard. And next time, can I request extra?"

"How much?" asked Bowen.

"Twenty."

"I will give you a 5% discount if you buy 40."

"Haha, you really know how to sell, huh? Fine then. My job never lacks wood, so bring them on."

"Great!" Bowen finished the deal happily.

"Uncle Rephal, need your help again." Bowen turned to see a familiar handicapped girl walking with jerky movements. She held a stick to support her body on one hand and on her other hand held something like a sword covered in a halberd.

"Ruby? You again. Don't tell me you want to sell that too," said Rephal, looking at her hand.

"Yes. Please help me sell it."

"Oh no! Are you kidding me? Should she go to the lengths of selling this precious sword?" Uncle Rephal said

"Master said that you can take this for a few silvers, like 10 or 12 coins."

"10 or 12? Is she in her right mind? This sword is worth at least 60 silvers if you go to a city, you know. What a waste, what a waste!" said Rephal, shaking his head in disapproval.