☆16☆

Maria was getting ready for bed that night when she heard a knock on her window. She looked up to see Ethan making faces through the glass. She walked over to the window, an uninvited Ethan crawled through her window.

"What are you doing here?" She asked the puffed out boy. He stumbled to her bed before flopping face first. Maria raised a brow in confusion as she watched the boy, her eyes widening in realization when she finally noticed the boys drunk behavior.

"Ethan you ok?" The drunken boy only groaned in response. He turned to face her, making grabby hands towards her. She sighed before complying, walking towards him. As soon as she was close enough the boy grabbed her, pulling her down onto the mattress behind him causing the girl to squeal.

"Ethan!" She giggled, him pulling her closer towards his chest in response.

"Nobody else can touch you like this maria" ethans words slurred as he spoke. Marias head popped up and she looked towards him.

"What crack did you take?" She chuckles at his statement.

"None, I just want you maria. Not even that Kai boy can take me from you" he was the one to look into his eyes now which were full of drunken passion.

"How did you find out about him?" Ethan only grunted in response, adjusting his grip on her before speaking.

"I have my ways" Maria sighs knowing that Eleanor would've told Devi, who then told Ethan. Her friends we're such gossipers and apparently they were rooting for her and Kai.

"Mmm gimme a kiss" he leaned forward towards Maria, her eyes widening slightly.

"Ethan..." She cupped his face in her hands causing him to look into her eyes that were full of concern.

"What happened?" Ethans eyes teared up before they slipped from his eyes. She knew he only acted like this when something happens within his family. She found this pit because they had been hanging out more often.

"He, he hit me again" a choked sob escaped his mouth.

"Oh. What'd he say this time?" Maria's voice was laced with more concern than before.

"He said I was a mistake and a failure" Maria's heart dropped as she heard his words.

"You're far from that ethan" was all she said before she was pulled into a bone crushing hug. Ethan started sobbing and all Maria could do was lay there and whisper comforting words into his ear. Eventually he fell asleep on her mattress, taking her with him.

☆☆☆

Maria woke up to an empty bed the next morning, feeling drained of school work and overall life. She got ready for school and walked downstairs, greeting her mother.

"Was there a boy in your room last night?" Maria's eyes widened as she looked over to her mother who already had her arms crossed. She could never lie to her mother so she spoke up and told the truth.

"Yeah, but we didn't do anything like that. He was drunk and sad, I was cheering him up" Maria's mother nodded, walking up to her child and caressing her hair.

"You're such a good kid, how did I get so lucky" she spoke before pulling her into a hug, bringing a warm smile to both of their faces.

"Thanks ma,but I gotta go" Maria left the embrace, grabbing her bag and walking out.

☆☆☆

Maria watched Devi as she kicked around the pool lane ropes with aggression. Paxton ran out of nowhere and stopped her.

"Hey woah, still mad about Princeton?" He asked with concern causing Maria to scoff. They were acting how they did in high school when he cheated on Maria with her. They both looked at her with furrowed brows upon hearing her scoff.

"Cmon Devi you said you'd be happy for fabiola wherever she got in" Devi walked up to Maria with a scowl.

"But she didn't have to steal my spot at Princeton" Maria sighed.

"Look I know what she did was wrong but its not like you owned that spot" Devi crossed her arms.

"It was my dream! How would you like it if I stole your dream?" Maria sighed knowing she has some kind of past with her dad about going to Princeton.

"It doesn't give you a reason to be mad... It was her mother's idea for her to sign up there, you know her mother doesn't hold back when it comes to fabiolas future" Devi stood there in thought for a second before slowly nodding her head.

"Besides, deffered doesn't mean you didn't make it in" Maria spoke trying to look onto the positive side causing Devi gave her a half smile.

"Yeah, thanks Maria" Maria gave her a Pat on the shoulder before helping Paxton untangle the lane ropes.

☆☆☆

The school bell runs indicating the last class of the day. Maria sat down in her seat behind devi who was looking over at fabiola to which Maria couldn't tell if it was a good look or not.

"Alright class it's time to present your final projects of the semester" Mr. Shapiro spoke as he walked to the front of the classroom. Maria already felt bored from hearing his voice so she decided to draw on her hand, writing Ethan's name on her wrist thinking nothing of it.

"In an effort to right the wrongs of our history, let's let a strong woman of colour speak first" he continued, causing Maria to pause and look at him with furrowed eye brows. She had always found him to be a bizarre man. He looked over to fabiola, indicating her to speak.

"Uh yeah sure" she spoke and got up. She spoke about a few things as if she were directing it to someone. She blinked vigorously a few times before walking out. Maria thought about standing up but when she spotted devi rush out after her, she decided to stay put.

☆☆☆

A/n

Bro I can't tell if my writing is getting worse but gurl I swear it gets better😭😭😭anyway I have math tomorrow so pray for me

(I suffer from this so much)