one?

gen stared back at sadie, jaw dropped so low she was almost afraid of swallowing a fly.

almost.

her fear of eating a bug was completely and utterly outweighed by the onslaught of emotions she was ambushed with as she stared at her first and only love.

it was her. she knew it was her. it was her sadie, with her blue eyes (ocean eyes, but gen hadn't listened to that song in ages) and her freckles. her red hair, and that small blush that only seemed to be on her face when she looked at gen.

and how could she forget, that goddamn smile.

but in a way, gen knew that she didn't know this new sadie. her skin was a little brighter, with whatever celebrity skin care she was probably on. she had grown into her skin more, holding her head a little higher and her shoulders relaxed.

no, this wasn't her sadie. this was the sadie she read about on twitter and her newest dating scandals. this was the sadie she watched after begrudgingly giving in to buying a netflix account. this was the sadie that won awards, stared in a taylor swift music video and left genesis jones for the fame.

don't forget you made her, gen.

of course she didn't forget. she could never forget the night she pushed sadie away for her own good. even after all those years, watching her succeed and grow and become an amazing actress, she never regretted it.

"is it our time now, genesis jones?"

the words hung in the air, and genesis weighed her options in her head as quickly as she could.

she could run, of course. she picked it up a while back and actually managed to become a little faster. she's sure she had a chance.

also, she could scream. screaming would scare sadie. screaming would scare that goddamn smile off her face and stop making gen feel all the feelings she tried to forget.

gen could pretend she didn't recognize her ("do i know you?" (of course she does)) or that she wasn't really gen ("gen? oh, you must be thinking of my twin! i'm pen" (yeah, great one gen)).

even as she outweighed the possibilities, she didn't choose one in time. her dad (bless him) stepped in.

"gen, why don't you go catch up with your.... friend? tuesdays are slow. i can handle it." he smiled gently at gen, and she wished that she missed the sly wink he threw in sadie's direction.

all throughout this interaction, gen noticed how sadie's composure started to slip. at first, she was this confident actress who was so sure she would win the girl back. it's our time now!

but now sadie looks less confident. well, she kind of did. her head was still held high, and her shoulders relaxed. unfortunately, gen still knew sadie.

she could see the small lines tense in her face, the way her smile was strained. it was barely there, but it was there. it made everything so much worse for gen.

she was making sadie nervous.

this girl had probably been on a million adventures without her. fame, riches, awards, attention, gen couldn't even imagine. but even after all of that, gen was making her nervous.