Chapter 17: Inner Demons

Start from the beginning

The women infront of me halt in her steps just at the beginning of first stair and then turning towards me said,

"Please go ahead." She stepped aside signaling me to move forward and I nodded nervously. As soon as I took a step down a bright spotlight fell upon me almost blinding my vision. The beat of the music changes to some violen and piano notes. The whole room darkened so I couldn't see a single thing, I just heard the sound of camera clicking and some the flash of them in the dark.

I carefully stepped down the stairs lifting my gown a little bit so I didn't fall on my face. I try hard to smile as genuinely as possible whereas my heart beating like crazy. I was so focused in my walk that I didn't notice I've already reached the last step and my trance only broke when an arm snaked around my waist.

I looked up only to find it's Adi, he is holding me firmly in his side and had an stoic expression as ever. I smiled slightly and felt my nervousness had gone totally. I looked straight again and the media continues with their photography.

After some moments Adi led me towards a platform and let me sit on the huge couch. Then one by one many unknown people came to meet me personally and I greeted them with a smile. I don't known any of them but I'm sure they are rich people and friends with Oberois.

There are a lot of guests, I guess more than 500 including my family and friends. I talked to them for a bit and my aunt as usual throw me a disgusting look and didn't even talk to me. Urvi came with her boyfriend as a guest of Oberois and give me company for some time then her boyfriend took her with him to meet his friends.

Mr. Oberoi's behavior infront of media shocked me, he totally turned 180°. His sweet fake smile and even sweeter tone of voice made me cringe internally. He has such a fake personality. He is talking to me like he felt very proud of me and bragging about me like he is my own father. If I didn't saw his real face earlier then I also believe in his every word.

Adi excused himself to attend some of his business allies I guess and I stood there awkwardly. Suddenly my eyes widened when fell upon a particular figure in the crowd striding towards me, Mr. Bajaj. I didn't expect him here at all. Isn't he the rival of Adi? Why he is been invited here?

I gulped and felt my pulse quickened, the wicked smirk plastered on his face give off a bad vibe. I look around to find Adi or anyone known who could give me a company so that I don't have to deal with him infront of a whole bunch of media. Literally all the cameras focused on me.

He stepped on the platform and I held my head high so that he didn't caught me shaking internally. He continued to come closer until we are mere a feet away then he said with a cunning smile,

"Congratulations little girl, you didn't tell me you got married to Aditya." His expression easily fool the media that he have a normal conversation with me but his tone is dangerous, like he is infuriated. I sucked in the breath and answered him without trembling,

"I'm not obliged to tell you about my personal life." Irritation is evident in my voice so in my face. He came even closer to me and I flinched when he pecked my cheeks lightly in a greeting manner while whispering in my ear,

"Don't give the media a hot gossip by grimacing at me, act normal." He then distanced himself and I looked around only to find the photographers have a keen interest in our interaction. I don't wanna create a scene and degrade the family name of Oberoi's. So I took a deep breath and flashes the most fake smile in my life.

"Good girl." He praised smiling but I want nothing but punch his face because of the tone of his voice.

"Stay away from me unless you wanted me to create a seen here." I gritted out although there is a smile plastered on my face which can fooled anyone here.