|| 34. New Year's Party (UN-EDITED)

Start from the beginning

"Anything's fine, I'm not picky," Y/N mumbled, her gaze drifting once more. Aurora nodded before focusing on the cashier.

Suddenly, a familiar cascade of curls entered Y/N's line of sight, drawing a smile to the Ravenclaw's lips. Her feet carried her a step closer, arm extending to tap the shorter girl's shoulder, when...

"Who are you?" The girl spun around, and Y/N took a step back, brows furrowing in confusion. The person she'd thought was Hermione turned out to be someone entirely different – different house and all.

"Sorry, I mistook you for someone else," Y/N said with a slight blush, the girl nodding before walking away.

Y/N let out a deep sigh, turning around with a frustrated grumble. "What am I even thinking?" she muttered, rolling her eyes at her own self-deprecation before suddenly jolting.

"Y/N!" Hermione's voice rang out with a wide smile.

"Merlin's beard, Hermione, a heads-up would've been nice," Y/N grumbled, her hands frozen mid-motion, earning a small chuckle from Hermione. The Gryffindor sported a jumper with a sweater casually draped around her neck.

"Hmm, I think you're just a bit slow, Crimson," Hermione teased, prompting a playful eye roll from Y/N.

"Oh, in your wildest dreams, Granger," Y/N retorted, a mischievous glint in her eyes as Hermione giggled.

"Aren't you cold? It's the end of December, and you're wearing just a jumper," Y/N expressed, a hint of concern in her voice.

"Nah, you'd find that I handle the cold quite well," Hermione replied with a hum, drawing an inquisitive eyebrow raise from Y/N. Hermione couldn't help but snicker. "Where's your date, by the way?" she asked, Y/N glancing around before pointing subtly.

"Aurie's getting our food," Y/N answered, and Hermione nodded.

"Well, why are you so far away from her?" Hermione inquired with curiosity. A blush touched Y/N's cheeks; she couldn't admit that she was absentmindedly searching for the Gryffindor through the bustling crowd.

"Just... wanted to get drinks from this stall," Y/N mumbled, indicating the stall beside her. Hermione's brows furrowed in confusion.

"That's the bathroom stall," Hermione deadpanned, and Y/N's mouth fell open.

"I've always had a strong affinity for tap water," Y/N hastily responded, causing Hermione to look bewildered before bursting into laughter, a sound that felt like a melodious symphony to Y/N's ears.

"Oh, really?" Hermione teased, a glint of playfulness in her eyes. 

She might have been oblivious to some things, but she wasn't clueless; there was definitely something about Hermione that could easily fluster Y/N. And Hermione was determined to figure it out—what she didn't realize, though, was that just being around Hermione was enough to make Y/N's heart race.

"Absolutely, without a doubt," Y/N replied, her confidence gradually returning as she crossed her arms. Hermione raised an eyebrow, the corner of her lips quirking up in a knowing smile.

Hermione's knowing smile only fueled Y/N's determination to hold her ground. She wasn't about to let Hermione's playful interrogation get the best of her.

"So, what's with the sudden interest in my choice of beverage?" Y/N countered, her tone lighthearted yet tinged with a touch of challenge.

Hermione's eyebrow arched higher, a spark of amusement dancing in her eyes. "Oh, just making conversation, you know," Hermione replied casually, though her subtle smirk revealed her intention to keep the banter going.