Chapter I - Introduction

Start from the beginning

Luka stared at the man, who was now sniffling quietly, unable to continue fighting back tears.

"Do you want me to get someone to help him out?" Luka asked, visibly concerned for the man.

Parker shook his head. "Bad idea. Once he gets back, someone's gonna call him a pussy or something and he'll suffer something worse."

Luka just nodded. It hurt to watch his own brother be forced to deal with these kind of people, but he had no choice. The Foundation does what the Foundation wants.

"Oye, Fitch! You gonna come back an' eat yo' shit or am I gonna finish it for ya?" A tall, muscular man shouted at Parker.

"Touch any of my shit, an' I'm gonna introduce you to a whole world of fuckin' pain, dickhead." Parker growled, then turned back to Luka.

"I'll see you later, brother. Have a nice breakfast." Parker smiled.

"Don't get into any fights, okay?"

"Did you just call me a dickhead, you fuckin' piece of shit?" The same man yelled, standing up.

"Looks like I'm about to. Keep yourself safe, alright?" Parker smirked and turned back to the man, rolling up his sleeves as he walked towards him.

Luka turned around before he could witness the fight, and prayed something would stop it.

As if on cue, an SD burst into the room carrying a loaded gun. Luka recognized him as one of his friends, Alex.

"Alright CDs! Break it up before one of you lands in the infirmary!"
Alex stormed in and began walking towards the two.

The tall man immediately dropped Parker and returning to his seat while cursing. Parker snorted and returned to his.

"Thank you. Now pull this again and I swear O5 will be here to see you. Got it?"
Alex spoke in a forced tone, and the CDs nodded. He turned around and returned alongside Luka.

"Hello, Dr. Fitch. What brings you here?"
Alex smiled, resting his gun in his arms.

"No need for formalities Alex. I was just stopping to check in on the CDs. I'm leaving now." Luka sighed in relief knowing a friend had helped stop his brother from getting hurt.

Alex laughed softly. "Alright, may I escort you to the cafeteria then, Doc- Luka?"

"Sure."

The two left the briefing room, Luka waving to Parker before they closed the door, and started their trip to the cafeteria, chatting the whole way.

————

Luka arrived at the cafeteria, waving goodbye to Alex as he left to join the other SDs at his table. He looked around for somewhere to sit, and turned around to—

"Luka!! There you are! Oh my god I was looking for you EVERYWHERE!!"
Hazel grabbed him and hugged him from behind, giggling.

Luka yelped but laughed after realizing it was just Hazel. Hazel Williams, or Dr. Williams was another scientist at the site, and Luka's best friend. He often ended up running tests with her accompanying him due to her lack of clearance. Luka was an L4, meaning he had access to all areas of the site, including Con X. Hazel was an early L3, meaning she could not access anything Con X or lower without authorization. He didn't mind at all, her company was much appreciated.

"Hey Hazel. Did you get us a table?"
Luka looked around the cafe, which was slowly filling up.

"Of course I did. We're not sitting on the floor, you clown!"
Hazel shoved Luka playfully.