30. just in bello

Começar do início

Another thunder shook her body.

"That sounds good," she said timidly.

Lilith didn't forget her stuffed animal. She followed Dean down the hallway, traversing the storm that howled at the windows and the new flowers her mom had planted in the backyard. She wondered if they would survive. When they reached the stairs, fear of the darkness returned. There was darkness downstairs. No way, she cried out in a guttural complaint, seeking Dean's attention. When she had it, she raised her arms, asking to be carried. The protest lasted only a few seconds. That's how she felt better.

"You sit here," Dean placed the girl on the couch after holding her in his arms. He turned on all the lights in the living room, as well as in the dining room and kitchen, with the frightened girl hiding her face in his neck. "Let's see what I can put on for you."

She still had traces of crying, and her head was still red. She looked toward the door with sad eyes, reminding herself that Mommy would arrive soon. Why did she have to leave? The storm showed no signs of stopping; it felt like the end of the world. The preteen took out the box of children's movies, labeled "Movies for Lilith," and sat on the floor in front of the VHS player, searching through the films.

"Do you want a Disney movie? How about this one? Barbie and the Rockers," he said, sounding as silly as possible. Dean was like that with everything he liked. "Barbie surely knows how to rock." He put the movie in the player, hoping it would distract her from the storm, but Lilith still kept looking at the door, on the verge of crying. "Look, fireworks and sparkles! Isn't that what girls like?"

A louder lightning than all the previous ones echoed through the house.

"Can you call her and tell her to hurry?" he said.

"She's probably close, watch the movie and the wait will go by quickly," she replied. She didn't want to watch the movie; she wanted her mom. "Hey... Did you know I can open the candy drawer?"

"It's locked, you can't open it. Mom has the key in her purse."

"Yes, but I can open it with a lockpick. If you promise to stop crying and watch the movie, I'll bring you a chocolate. Deal?"

Lilith nodded, pulling her hair away from her face and taking a deep breath to loosen the knot in her throat. She was still breathing irregularly. Dean got to work, and in a few minutes, he returned from the kitchen with a chocolate bar. It made her happier and helped distract her. The taste of chocolate filled her taste buds, reminding her of candy Fridays and family trips to fairs with her grandparents. The memory calmed the girl after Barbie and The Rockers' song ended. Dean leaned back, looking at the clock on the wall: 10:40 PM. He sighed, settling into the sofa. Lilith felt bad for him. The brothers' father went on hunting trips that lasted weeks, with no communication and a upbringing that kept them on the edge of life and death. She couldn't imagine how awful it would be to be away from mom for days when she already missed her after just one hour. It terrified her more than the darkness and the monsters.

"Here," Lilith broke half of the chocolate bar and offered it to him. Maybe it would make him feel better about his dad.

"Thanks."

Halfway through the movie, yellow lights reflected in the living room windows, illuminating the raindrops. A car parked outside. Lilith jumped off the sofa, holding onto the backrest, and turned her cerulean, childlike eyes towards the door. Her heart raced, urging her legs to jump impatiently until mom walked through the door, undoing all the progress Dean had made to calm her. The girl burst into tears, just as she had in her room.

"I'm here, my love," Regina said, taking her daughter in her arms. "Well, well," she consoled her, stroking her hair and speaking in a magical, motherly tone, like the sweetest melody on the planet. "Were you scared, my darling? It's just a storm, a strong one, but it's only water and thunder."