|| 30. Softer (UN-EDITED)

Start from the beginning

Y/N's intrigue deepened, her brow raising inquisitively. Her mind raced, connecting dots and weaving possibilities. "You and Arabelle," Y/N stated, a realization dawning as the pieces fell into place. "You dated her before Dad?"

Amaryllis offered a knowing smile, confirming her daughter's deduction with a gentle nod. "Yes, indeed. Arabelle and I embarked on our own journey of young love, beginning in second year and coming to an end in fifth," she shared, a touch of fondness and a hint of melancholy in her voice. "It was... quite a tumultuous chapter in our lives."

A playful smirk tugged at Y/N's lips as she playfully jibed, "Mom's quite the charmer, huh?" Amaryllis responded to the jest with a mock eye-roll, their rapport carrying a lightness that only close relationships could foster.

"Come now, don't paint me with such a broad brush," Amaryllis retorted, her tone feigning exasperation. "Although I must admit, Arabelle did manage to turn the tables by adding a twist of revenge—her little affair during my marriage with your father."

Amaryllis's sigh carried a hint of resignation, her voice tinged with a mix of regret and acceptance. Y/N's expression shifted slightly, a subtle frown taking residence as she processed the weight of the revelation. 

"They didn't deserve you, Mom," Y/N asserted matter-of-factly, a firmness in her voice that held unwavering support for her mother.

Ameliorated by her daughter's words, Amaryllis chuckled softly. However, the atmosphere took a thoughtful turn as Y/N's tone turned more contemplative. "But... mom," Y/N began, the words tinged with curiosity and a touch of seriousness.

Amaryllis's attention shifted to her daughter, her response attentive and patient. "Yes?" she prompted, inviting Y/N to continue.

"So, did you fight alongside Harry's parents in the first war?" Y/N inquired, the question opening a door to a past steeped in bravery and sacrifice. Amaryllis's expression softened, her gaze distant as she recalled the memories.

"Yes, I did," Amaryllis confirmed, her voice carrying a weight that transcended the present moment. Her tone held a mixture of nostalgia and sorrow, a reflection of the bond she had shared with Lily and James Potter in the tumultuous times of war.

Y/N's curiosity deepened, a new thread of inquiry unraveling. "And what about Dad?" Y/N's voice lowered, a note of caution woven into the question. "I've heard... things." Amaryllis's expression turned more solemn, the levity of their conversation briefly shadowed by the weight of history. 

"Your father was a Death Eater," she stated plainly, the words hanging in the air with a gravitas that required no embellishment. 

"But he was a spy, working on Dumbledore's orders. A necessary darkness for a noble purpose." A sudden shift in tone marked the seriousness of Amaryllis's next words. "I'm about to share something with you that might be hard to digest. Can you promise not to react strongly?"

Y/N's eyes met her mother's with a mixture of curiosity and a touch of apprehension. "I promise," she affirmed, her tone steady.

Amaryllis's gaze held a solemn intensity as she began to reveal a piece of their lineage that connected to a dark figure of the past. "You share blood with He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named," she stated, her words clear and unembellished.

Y/N's reaction was immediate, her mouth slightly agape in disbelief. "What?" she exclaimed, the shock evident in her voice.

Amaryllis nodded, her expression serious yet reassuring. "It's distant blood, mind you. Your grandfather on your father's side is a distant cousin to You-Know-Who. The Crimsons and Gaunts, our ancestors, intertwined their fates centuries ago."