|| 28. Dinner (UN-EDITED)

Start from the beginning

"Absolutely," Y/N affirmed, her gaze holding onto Hermione's with playful intensity. "You have to take responsibility for this."

Hermione's scoff held a hint of amusement as she leaned back in her own chair. "And what exactly am I being accused of?"

Y/N's red eyes sparkled as she leaned in slightly, her words a mixture of playful accusation and candid confession. "Well... you see, you really annoyed me at the start. Your know-it-all attitude, your meticulous approach to everything. I thought I'd lose my mind."

Hermione's lips twitched into a grin, her amusement evident as she listened intently. "And now?" she prompted, her curiosity piqued.

Y/N's fingers continued their rhythmic tap on the table's surface, a habit that had become as familiar to Hermione as her own name. "Well," Y/N began, her tone thoughtful, "here we are, sitting in this cozy cafe, having a conversation like... friends."

Hermione's grin widened, her gaze softening as she appreciated the journey their relationship had taken. "It's quite a change from our initial encounters, I'll give you that."

A playful glint returned to Y/N's eyes. "Oh, absolutely. If you had asked me back then, I would've bet on us never sharing more than a few words without launching into a full-blown debate."

Hermione chuckled, her laughter warm and genuine. "I wouldn't have taken that bet. Deep down, I think I always saw something in you, even when we were at odds."

Y/N's grin turned into a knowing smile, her red eyes holding a mixture of fondness and amusement. "And deep down, I begrudgingly admired your determination, even when it drove me crazy."

Hermione's laughter subsided, leaving behind a quiet camaraderie between them. "You know, Y/N," Hermione began, her voice softer now, "if we hadn't ended up as partners during that chaotic day at the zoo, who knows where we'd be now."

Y/N's playful smile returned as she remembered the events of that day. "Oh, I have a theory about that," she said, her tone light and conspiratorial. "If we hadn't been paired up, I'm fairly certain one of us would've accidentally provoked a creature into a frenzy, and the other would've been left to rescue them."

Hermione burst into laughter, the sound infectious and genuine. "You might be onto something there." Y/N joined in the laughter, the tension that once marked their interactions now replaced with shared amusement. As the laughter subsided, Y/N's eyes met Hermione's warm gaze.

"But you know," Y/N added playfully, "I think that chaos was exactly what we needed to get to this point."

Hermione's chuckle held a touch of agreement. "Funny how life works, isn't it?"

Y/N's lips curved into a wry smile, a touch of sarcasm lacing her words. "Hilarious."

Their banter, however, was momentarily interrupted by the approach of the waiter, his steps echoing softly on the polished floor. The clinking of plates and the aroma of freshly prepared food filled the air as he expertly arranged their orders on the table before them.

"Hot chocolate, black coffee, club sandwich, and a delectable mango tart for the both of you," the waiter announced with a professional smile. Y/N and Hermione exchanged appreciative nods, their gratitude reflecting in their eyes.

Y/N's fingers gently wrapped around the handle of her mug as she stirred her coffee, her gaze flicking toward the cup of hot chocolate nestled beside it. A quizzical expression tugged at her features, and she couldn't help but voice her curiosity.

"Hot chocolate, really?" Y/N inquired, her tone carrying a blend of intrigue and amusement. She glanced sideways at Hermione, a quirked eyebrow silently conveying her question.