Chapter 22

Logan's POV

After I returned from my mission with Frost, I was sitting in one of the lobby's couches. Anna-Marie and Piotr were keeping the kids busy, since I trained with them earlier. I had nothing to do and since Aurora isn't here to train with, I am bored to death.

That's when Emma and Evelyn entered the room and told me that the next totem's location appeared. Without hearing another word, I decided to volunteer.

Me: I will go on this mission. There's no need to ask someone else.

Emma Jonson: But you haven't even heard what we have to say. You don't even know which totem we are talking about.

Me: It doesn't matter; just give me the location.

Evelyn Jonson: It's about the love totem. It's disguised as a small stone rose disc.

Me: Alright. My answer is the same. What's the location?

Evelyn Jonson: The map shows that it's hidden in Inês de Castro, the corpse bride of Portugal; the grave of famous lovers located in Lisbon. J.A.R.V.I.S. will send you the exact coordinates.

Me: Good.

Emma Jonson: You will take someone with you in case you need help. Piotr, Anne-Marie and Frost are available right now.

Me: I will speak with Piotr.

Evelyn Jonson: Okay, be ready in 15 minutes; Emma will open the portal.

I nodded and went to Piotr.

Me: Piotr, my friend, do you want to join me on a mission?

Piotr Nikolayevich: Of course, like old times. I'll suit up and meet you at the lobby.

We met Emma at the lobby, where she opened a portal for us.

When we landed at the other side, we saw a monastery and thankfully no one was there to interrupt us from our mission. After a while we found the tombs, but something weird happened.

Me: Piotr, I don't smell a thing. It's like nothing's here.

Piotr Nikolayevich: Let's open the tombs.

We opened the tomb of Inês de Castro first, but it was empty. We opened the other tomb across from hers, but there was no corpse there either. It took us a lot of time, but we figured out that there was a secret passage under the tombs, which led to the real bodies.

Some time passed, but we managed to find them, even though we had to go through a lot of traps which turned on faster the closer we got. Some of the traps had arrows, others hanging axes, some were hidden wells filled with cobras and others were moats with big spikes ready to impale us. The closer we got to our target the deadlier the traps became. Luckily enough, I was healing fast and Piotr turned into steel to avoid the attacks. After a lot of effort, we reached the embalmed bodies that lay next to each other.

In the hands of the two lovers there was half of the flower disc and when I brought them next to each other, they merged into one. Then everything turned white.

Before I could open my eyes and adjust to the new environment, I heard a voice.

Totem: Fill your heart with love. Only then will love be given to you.

Me: Just great; riddles were all we needed. Colossus, do you know what it means?

I didn't get an answer and I raised my head, but Piotr wasn't there and everything around me had changed. It was like I was in a big black castle with huge windows and I could see that the world outside was in flames. I couldn't recognize which city I was in, I couldn't see anyone trying to run or escape... there was only smoke, flames and ashes filling the air.