Prologue

~4th grade (seven years prior)~

I had just found out that, Carl Gallagher was spreading rumors that I still wet the bed. My best friend, Cassie, had told me.

"Why would he do that? I don't even know him!" I said as my eyes teared up.

"I don't know, Maya."

"My life is over, everyone will hate me now." I sobbed as I pushed back and forth on the swing.

"That's not true. Spread a rumor about him." Cassie said.

"Like what?" I asked, trying to stop crying. 

"Say that he eats worms." She laughed.

"Omg that's perfect. Will you help me?"

"Obviously, your my bestie and no one messes with you."

We started telling a bunch of kids on the play ground until it was the new talk. As we were about to walk inside from recess, I heard someone call my name: "Amaya Murklins!"Someone shouted. I spun around on my heel, my dress flying up slightly with it as I turned to face: Carl Gallagher. He was just inches from my face, making me hold my lunch box tighter.

"I do not eat fucking worms." The whole play ground gasped at his words. I've never heard a cuss word before. My knees felt weak until Cassie nudge my arms. "Yell back."

"Well... I don't wet the bed." I said.

"I never said you did, crybaby!"

"I am not a crybaby! I shouted back, throwing my lunch box to the side and the next thing I did, was completely unexpected.

I tackled him.

"Ow!" He shouted, punching my arms. "Your crushing my femur bone!"

"You don't even know where your femur is!" I yelled and threw one hit at his face. Only for him to grab my shoulders and slammed his head against mine.

I fell back, holding my head in my hand.

"Maya!" Cassie shouted, I checked my hand for blood and when I found none, I lunge at Carl and slammed his head on the ground. Blood spilled from the back of his head and I instantly jumped up.

I killed him.

He rolled around a little bit, holding his head as he slurred his words the only thing I could make out was, "You little bitch."

Carl wasn't at school the rest of the day.

The next day he was though and the whole day sucked. As soon as he got into class he put gum in my hair and the teacher has to stop class for an hour just to get it out. After that, he put ants in my lunch box. I tried my hardest not to explode and get into another fight.

But at recess.

As soon as I went to the door after lunch, Carl dragged me to the bathrooms and without skipping a beat, punched me in my mouth. I gasped and my hand went to my mouth as it filled with the taste or blood.

"Don't you ever touch me again." He snapped.

"Well don't tell people things that aren't true." I said, swallowing the taste.

"I didn't." He said. "You made me look bad in front of the whole school! I hate you Maya!"

"I hate everything about you!" I shouted.

"Good. From now on, we're enemies!" And with that, he walked away.

I huffed and walked back outside to find Cassie at the usual spot by the swings.

"Where were you?" She asked when I sat down.

"Carl had to talk. We're enemies now." I tried my best to roll my eyes.

"Oh." She muttered.