19 ~ Domino

My arms stretch out as I roll over on my side, letting a yawn escape from my lips. I was the first one to wake up. Katniss was still sound asleep in the trees, along with Rue. Both were snuggled up in a sleeping bag they hung on some branches in the treetops. I volunteered to keep lookout from the ground, but could barely stay awake. I think I only made it an hour before sleep inevitably took over. The tracker jacker venom was probably still making its way out of me as well, which didn't aid my hope to stay awake till the morning.

It was much warmer now than it was the night before, not enough to take my jacket off but I could still feel a difference. I figured it would be the perfect time to go hunt. My bag lay on the tree stump next to me, its gray side still stained with splatters of thick blood. I didn't know If it was Jenna's or the boy I killed, either way, it reminded me of what I did.

Murder is what it was. No matter the situation, even if I was forced to, I still murdered two people. Both are from District 10. It hadn't occurred to me till now. Even if I did win and get out of here alive, what would I say to the families of the ones I killed on my victory tour? What would I say to Jenna's brother? Just imagining it made my stomach feel queasy. Standing up there on a stage, reciting some stupidly dull speech written by the Capitol.

The victory tours were a joke. A few months after each game the victor would be taken around on a victory tour, normally lasting a week or two. The tour went through all districts but the one of the victor, and it was supposed to be a celebration. A chance for the victor to show themselves to the world, their "improved" selves. The image that the Capitol wanted us to see. Show us how our savage ways can be cured through submission.

It may have seemed innocent to a Capitol citizen, but in reality, it was cruel. I mean, since when are they not?

I try not to blame the citizens of the Capitol too much, they don't know what's happening outside of their small city, but at the same time, they don't care to explore it. They go along with everything the Capitol wants them to, listen, and form opinions based on their government. Worst of all they bid on us in these games, betting money on who will survive, kill, or be killed. I probably even had a decent amount of money on me, considering my score it certainly was a possibility.

The forest floor was slowly becoming more traversable, allowing me to pick up my pace without the worry of tripping. After days of living here, I was finally adapting. The birds singing and the tree leaves dancing made me feel at home like I was out another day hunting with Sky.

My breath slows as I slowly come to a halt, my eyes focusing on the tiny figure emerging from a hole in the tree ahead. Squirrel for breakfast didn't sound too bad. My hands reach for the knives in the pocket of my backpack, careful not to make noise. The tip slips between my fingers and lodges itself into the animal's head with one quick movement. My cheeks form a grin as I stand back up, straightening my posture.

Snap! As I move toward the squirrel, I hear a branch snap, followed by two bickering voices. Immediately I pull myself behind the nearest tree, pushing myself into its base, hoping it could just swallow me up and hide me inside. "Cato we have to go," says a girl. Her voice was familiar. "He's not out here, we've searched for days," she says, causing me to quickly realize it was Clove.

"Look I have to keep looking for him," He says as the footsteps come even closer. My heart beats loud as it is the only thing I can hear in the silence between their sentences. Clove grunts, "You know there's only one winner, Cato. We all do. Even if you found him you would have to kill him eventually." I bite down on my lower lip, she's right. I knew Cato liked me, but It wouldn't be enough in the end. We would have to kill each other if we wanted to go home. We would lose no matter what.