4 ~ Bullet Train

The car slowly inches forward through the crowd that surrounds it, and both Jenna and I stay silent. I lean my back against the seat, trying not to look out of the window. Other kids and people I knew stood outside, waving and cheering for their tributes.  A few older adults would sometimes bet on who would be picked, I'm guessing one of our names was bet on a lot because I saw many smiling faces.

I take a deep inhale as the car finally stops in front of a large station. I barely make it out of the car before white lights begin to flash in my eyes, reporters and interviewers rushing toward me, trying to get every angle they could. Madelyn took both of our arms and pulled us forward, following our bodyguards, who were two large men in suits, pushing past people so that we would have a path to walk through.

The open doors of the station welcomed us in, stepping inside the train felt magical in a way. I took a deep breath in and within seconds, the loud noises of the cameras clicking and people talking disappeared. I turn around to notice that the doors have shut.

The train began to move at once. The sudden speed almost made me fall but I regained my balance. I had never been on a train, as travel between districts was strictly forbidden, except for certain people. The only train that left District 7 was a transport train for lumber, even then, only a select group of people were allowed to work there. I heard somewhere that previous victors were also allowed to travel to other districts, not that they would ever want to, but It was something that I just found interesting.

My fingers glided against the smooth and shiny metal walls of the small cabin we stood in, this train was nothing like the one they used in 7. It was much cleaner. It was one of those Capitol models that average 250 miles per hour. The ride to the Capitol would probably only take at most a day.

"Come on," Madelyn says. Her ridiculously large golden heels lightly tapped against the floor as we entered the next cabin

As we did my eyes widened, everything was so pristine. I looked everything up and down, to make sure that I was seeing it correctly. From the navy blue curtains that lined the windows to the matching blue carpet and elegant furniture, everything looked straight out of a fantasy. "Well, enjoy it while you can," Madelyn says, her gloved arms up in the air.

"Can I eat this?" Jenna quietly asks. "Of course, you can, dear. Just be sure to save room for super," Madelyn responds. Jenna took a blueberry pastry and shoved it in her mouth, she seemed to melt as she chewed it. "It's delicious," she says, earning a smile from Madelyn.

I turn to face the window, running my pointer finger across the windowsill. There was not a single speck of dust.

My arms prop themselves against the window as I look through the clear glass window, the outside world rushed by in a blur. It was fast, but I could still make out the individual trees that passed. The way the large mountains on the outskirts of the district kissed the edge of the setting sun, and how the meadows of grass and wildflowers blended, showed me the true beauty of District 7.

The true beauty I may never see again, the home I will leave behind. Because no matter what happens, It will never be the same for me again. Even as we passed the lumber mills filled with miserable and unfairly treated workers, I would much rather be there.

The tribute train's rooms were bigger than those in my own house. Just like when we got to say goodbye to our families, Jenna and I had our own rooms.

The drawers were filled with clothes, each drawer with different sizes and colors. Madelyn told me to wear whatever for the ride there, just as long as I was washed up and ready for supper in an hour. I slowly peel off the outfit my father had given me. Stepping into the shower I felt my nerves calm down. I had never taken a real shower before, the closest thing I had was washing off near the waterfall by my mom's tree during summer. This felt different however, the way the tiny beads of water hit my body made it feel like spring rainfall, only much warmer.