Snaring Prey

The trek to his village had been uneventful. The wolf had yet to disappear from Stelian's mind.
He pulled himself from his thoughts, making his way to the village square where Dru had led him. He sat beside his friend, and drank from the mug of Meade he had been given earlier. The moon was full, and the villagers were expecting a visit from their ruler sometime in the night. King Lucian would leave his lovely castle, to let his smallest village know who their wolves would take this harvest moon.

Traditionally, the king would select a person as a gift to the wolves of the forest. Those chosen were either never heard from again, or became the companions of the king's powerful court.

After about an hour more of drinking and idle chatter, drums began to signal the arrival of the king. He arrived on his black horse, bridled with leather and onyx, dressed in the colors of his seal. The king was a handsome man. Stelian had remembered seeing him every harvest moon he had recollection of, but the man never seemed to change. His chiseled jaw, straight nose, and piercing dark eyes were the same as always. His golden circlet gleamed in the dim light of the fires as the square went silent.

"Good Eve to all. The time has come once again for my court to pick the next gift to our wolves. But first, let us celebrate this last year." Lucian said, his courtiers making their way to the fire where they mingled with the crowd. The gathering then began again, as if it had never stopped in the first place.

Stelian mingled as well, but felt he was being watched. The group he stood with laughed at some bawdy quip, and Stelian took the time to take in his surroundings. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

All too soon, the howls of the wolves rang through the night air. The king took this as his signal to begin, and his courtiers and guards came closer to him. He spoke of past traditions, his eyes trailing over the villagers until he found Stelian's. No, he must have imagined that. The man continued with formalities until he was ready to divulge the name.

"This year's gift shall be Stelian Sala." The king said, and Stelian's heart stopped. He wanted to run and hide, but he forced his legs to take him to the king's side. The king's dark eyes raked over him, and he kept his head down for the king's inspection.

When he was satisfied, Lucian thanked the village for their contribution and led him away to the horses. Lucian seated himself on his, then offered Stelian a hand. The boy was pulled up, and sat up against the king's chest. Lucian's hands subtly slipped around Stelian, grasping the reins of his horse. Stelian looked back at his home for the last time, before they were off.

Lucian savored the warmth of his little mate during the ride. The boy was completely pressed against him, shaking with fear. He could barely make himself wait to turn the fear into shudders of pleasure, when he finally claimed his mate.

"You have no one you wished to say goodbye to?" Lucian asked him.

"The goodbyes occur earlier in the evening. So not to inconvenience you, my lord." The boy replied. He pondered that until the boy spoke up again.

"You would not be able to tell me what you plan to do with me, would you?"

Lucian smiled, and his mouth grazed Stelian's ears as he spoke quietly.
"Are you usually so blunt?"

"I apologize for any disrespect, my liege." The boy mumbled submissively. Lucian's wolf purred again with content.

"You've heard those in your village mention the hunt, yes?" Lucian asked. The boy nodded. "Tonight, the wolf hunts. And you, my boy, are his prey." Lucian whispered, his teeth against Stelian's ear.

"Prey?" He squeaked, sounding alarmed.

"Enough questions. You've a long night ahead of you." Lucian whispered, burying his nose in his mate's neck. Stelian released his breath and sank into the king's embrace, too exhausted to understand why he felt so safe.