“You sure?” Kaenaék looks hesitant.

“I am. He said you three unless Cara approves another.” He nods before they silently leave.

We’re all trying to distract ourselves by making potions and trying to find out how such a light and soft material made her bruise. The slightest wisp of it bruised her. Yet, the cape did not. How is it possible? Is portal damage this horrible on a body? Why does the cape not harm her. It’s the same material, yet it seems to act like it’s hovering over her skin ever so slightly. Hovering…

“Ana?” They come out an hour later. She’s sleeping still and only wearing the cape. It covers her and can close in the front, so she isn’t exposed. It seems sheer and is soft as a petal, but feels like a material she calls microfiber. She identified the material of my gowns as silk, cloaks as velvet, and the gowns of the others as a cotton-silk type of material. None of them are sheer, except Sosyéte’s, but they seem like they should be.

“What could it be?” I question myself in frustration while holding the material Faemála sent.

“Ana.”

“Lía, I’m sorry. I just feel awful that she’s bruised again.”

“Nonsense. We know her healing is slow, much slower naturally than what we’ve encouraged. The letter did say something about the gamádír. Perhaps they are supposed to add to it.”

“Metal shouldn’t…”

“It is a conductor of energies, including heka, and it can have properties like force tiesh. Think about it.” She is fiercely serious.

“The force tiesh and metal? It would need to be…”

“Smelted and forged by the best, imbued with heka, and sewn in like thread.” Realization hits me.

“She told us to mimic the cloak and let our artisans shine! She never told us the material was complete. Only the cloak and this piece.” Silence. You can hear a bird fart. Everyone is looking at me after my outburst. Realization is written on their faces.
“Lía, gather Nedressa, Ash’A’firínn, Melana, Valk’elden, Heida, Mali and Devios, Iudeíne, Takatyk’úkti, Brenna and Hellah, Qíqíkem and Larloxé, and Jin’thea. Each is either Wezimkem, Umbazi, VaikaTika, Saucíka, or Zulfí’Heka, or a combination. Give this to them.” I hand her the sample. “If anyone can figure out the heka and skill need to make this, they can. Oh!” I gather all the material we have. I even grab the royal materials from my bag to see if they can treat it as well, “This as well. I’ll leave it to them and let them shine.” She looks surprised at first, then a smile spreads across her sweet face.

“Right away! I’ll make them a workstation. Now that there’s only four tents with rooms and Sosyéte’s being used, we can use the others like this one.” She bounces out of the room. I’m glad I gave her a sister bag to mine. It took nearly half the year to make, but we each have access to the other’s bag contents when need be. She can easily pull tents, furniture, and equipment for the new team. Two little giggles remind me that my family needs me.

Snuggling my daughter and sister, I am thankful for all the blessings we have been given, even when they seem confusing.

14:02

Tavi

The giggles of Trasa and Soria have Cara smiling in her sleep. Soria starts to fuss. Cara’s eyes fly open. She scrambles to get out of bed and heads toward her before I can catch her.

“Inkássa Cara! Please, sit. You shouldn’t be up like this. Dehjōmen hurries to her side and guides her to her seat. I smile to myself. I shouldn’t fear anything about him. Or the others for that matter. They all adore her already and are protective.