Trouble

Skírlífr’anatí 21st
Taníyn’Nëlalaō
08:00

Ana

Cara and Nimuë are so sweet. I’m afraid for Cara. What if she can’t heal? What if we can’t get others to help? What if we come across edlíduin and they think we abdụcted her and they try taking her? What if she can’t make the journey? What if she can’t handle the responsibilities ahead? Many “what if’s” plague my thoughts.

“Tavi, Cara, may I come in?”

“Please Sáry. You need to see this.” Tavi sounds worried. I rush to his side where he’s readying Cara for her bath. She looks asleep.

“What is this?” I ask. He points to every spot her “Goddess gown” touched. She has deep bruising. Her skin is fine where the cape rested. We didn’t chain or bead it at all. It was only material. How is this possible?

“She was crying in her sleep. She said her shoulders and hips hurt when I woke her. I brought her out and saw this. She’s exhausted. She can barely stay awake. What, what do I do?”

“We’ll double her bathing and rest today. Yesterday may have been too much. The sooner we get to Tírè Eniú, the better. We can turn a force tiesh bed into a lounge. She shouldn’t feel the travel. We should start slow. Get her into the bath. I’ll get Kaenaék.” I hug him gently, “We’ll figure this out, Saho.”

“I know. I’m worried, though.”

“That’s natural. I am as well. I’ll be back soon.” I quickly squeeze his shoulder and leave. With the sound barrier around their tent, those helping care for Cara moved closer. Much closer. I barely have to walk ten steps before I’m at the healer’s tent. It’s a large tent with nine rooms, three off the sides and back. The back corners hold the bathing and relief areas.

“Kaenaék?” I call from outside of the tents door. I won’t enter without permission.

“Come in, Ana.” Everyone is in the main room enjoying their morning java or tea. “You’re worried. What happened?”

“Cara was crying in her sleep. Everywhere her gown touched, she has bruising. She can’t stay awake either.” Worried glances are exchanged. Jajikar Dēvija TáRu, Tu’sí Niledōtu, Jajikar Hemét Geirým, Jajikar Dēvija Eleníz, and Yátu Niliese look to him. He nods. They quickly go to a cabinet for their medical bags.

“May we come?” Revëtu Dēvija Fraí asks for herself and Revëtu Dehjōmen.

“Please. We may need your talents. Will someone please get Lía. I told her she could sleep in, but we need her.”

“I’m already here.” She exits the relief room with Trasa and Soria in each arm. “I couldn’t sleep after all. Neither could they. I knew everyone here was awake and have bottles until midday. The others need a break. They’ll bring more milk after midday rest.”
The vaní giggle, reaching for me. I quickly sweep them up in my arms, cooing to them while everyone gathers their things. Maybe Cara will enjoy seeing them. It only takes the team a few minutes to ready themselves and set their stations up in Tavi and Cara’s tent. We added the medical tent to the side of theirs like a room and made sure no one could see in. Tavi insisted it be soundproof as well.

“Tavi, we’re all here. Who can come in?”

“Kaenaék, Niliese, Lía, and you. No akika or akoka. We aren’t fully bonded yet.”

“We understand. What about Niledōtu? She is family.” He is silent for a few minutes. “Cara will have to approve.” It’s nice how respectful he is of her feelings. While most hayati are loving and devoted, some are not. Many will act and do as they wish without considering their hayati first. Another reason we question some bonds. "Lía, Kaenaék, Niliese, you can go in.” I say, entering the medical room.