Chapter 2.2: Convenience store

Start from the beginning

Hirata didn't display any signs of anger or frustration in response to my reply. Instead, he wore an expression of understanding.

"Although I don't know the exact reasons behind your decision to hold back, I believe that you did it for your own personal interests Ayanokouji-kun, and I have no complaints about that," he stated.

Hirata seemed to acknowledge that my actions were driven by my own motivations, and he didn't harbor any resentment or objections towards me for it. His understanding demeanor made it clear that he respected my choices.
He must have also realized that it was actually me who had played a crucial role in their victory during the island exam, not Horikita. However, he chose not to mention it at that moment.

After our conversation, we returned to our seats just in time to see the next video about to start.

"Where did you go?" Horikita inquired.

"Just taking a breather for some fresh air," I replied, keeping my response vague.

The video started.

Even though people said this place was tough, the entrance ceremony was the same as any other school's. Some important people offered words of thanks, and the ceremony concluded without incident. Then, it was noon. After we received some general information about the campus, the crowd dispersed.

Glancing around the theater, I noticed that everyone seemed preoccupied with their own activities, showing little interest in the video. It appeared that their initial curiosity had faded once they realized that the videos will only merely document the lives of some random students from Class D, whom they perceived as inferior or defective. They had lost interest once the initial curiosity had faded, and they had returned to their previous behaviors, seemingly bored by the content being shown. Except for some students that is.

70-80 percent of the students headed toward the dormitories. The remaining students quickly formed into groups. Some made their way to cafés, while the louder ones went out for karaoke. The hustle and bustle quickly died down.

One of the top students from Class A voiced his thoughts, "You know, even if this guy is a defect, he's not actually bad than we originally presumed

Katsuragi, another faction leader from Class A, concurred, "Indeed. His level of awareness and observational skills when it comes to his surroundings and other people is quite impressive."

Ayanokouji deflected the praise, monotonously stating, "I am merely observant when it comes to this kind of thing that's all"

Although Katsuragi and Kanzaki remained somewhat skeptical, they shifted their focus back to the screen, continuing to watch the scene.

On a whim, I decided to swing by the convenience store on my way back to the dormitory. Of course, I went alone. I didn't have a chaperone, or acquaintance, or anyone like that.

Miyamoto interjected, unable to resist making a remark, "Well, that's because you've failed to make friends due to your inability to interact."

I brushed off Miyamoto's comment, understanding that while I may not have any "friends", I much preferred being on my own rather than associating with individuals like him, Yamauchi and Ike.

"My, what an unpleasant coincidence."

Entering the convenience store, I ran into Horikita once again

Hashimoto, witnessing the encounter, couldn't help but laugh. "Seems like fate really wants you two to become friends," he remarked with a chuckle.

"Wouldn't that be creepy?" Satou asked as she glance at both Horikita and me. "I mean, after several coincidences, if it were me, I would definitely think Ayanokouji is stalking me."