But no matter how reluctant she was, Ji Yuning couldn't take the cat with her.

She was still someone living under someone else's roof, so how could she have the ability to adopt a stray cat?

Ignoring the cat's repeated calls behind her, Ji Yuning walked past Fang Bai.

As they brushed past each other, Fang Bai's voice came to Ji Yuning's ears inquiringly, "Do you like it?"

Ji Yuning paused her steps and lowered her gaze, saying, "No."

"Alright." Fang Bai said, "Let's go then."

Ji Yuning replied with a simple "Mm."

The car was parked about a hundred meters away. It wasn't until Ji Yuning had walked halfway that she noticed Fang Bai wasn't following her.

She turned her head, and Ji Yuning was slightly taken aback.

Standing in front of the lush green plants, Fang Bai crossed her arms and moved her lips, speaking words that Ji Yuning couldn't discern due to the distance. Suddenly, she noticed Fang Bai extending her hand towards the cat.

Ji Yuning's initial instinct was that Fang Bai intended to harm the cat. Acting on impulse, she took a step towards the plants.

However, before she could take another step, Fang Bai's hand had already made contact with the cat.

It was too late.

Ji Yuning's hands clenched into fists at her sides.

As anger surged within her, Ji Yuning observed how Fang Bai gently caressed the cat's head. She watched as the cat lowered itself and rubbed against Fang Bai's hand. Then, to her surprise, she witnessed Fang Bai cradling the cat in her arms and approaching her.

The once agitated and anxious cat, now in Fang Bai's embrace, grew calm, not moving or making a sound.

Ji Yuning couldn't help but notice the black stain that had dirtied Fang Bai's pristine white shirt. With Fang Bai holding the entire cat in her arms, it was evident that there wouldn't be just one stain, but many more.

After a few breaths, Fang Bai halted in front of Ji Yuning, still holding the cat. "I unlocked it. Why didn't you get in the car?"

Ji Yuning's gaze remained fixed on the cat nestled in Fang Bai's embrace. "What... are you doing?"

A gust of wind blew, lifting a few strands of Fang Bai's hair to brush against her forehead.

Ji Yuning lifted her head and met Fang Bai's eyes, which curved like a crescent moon, radiating a smile. In that moment of locked gazes, Fang Bai spoke lightly, "Let's take it home with us."

Suddenly, a ray of sunlight pierced through the distant dark clouds, allowing a faint stream of light to seep through the gap. People, who had been weighed down by the heavy clouds, caught an early glimpse of the rainbow that followed the storm.

Most of the wounds on the kitten's body had already scabbed over, and it was covered in dirt. Not far from the restaurant where Fang Bai parked the car, there was a pet hospital.

Unfastening her seatbelt, Fang Bai turned her head towards the person holding the cat and said gently, "Let's have it checked. If there are no major issues, we can give it a bath before taking it home."

Ji Yuning nodded silently.

After stepping out of the car, Ji Yuning carried the cat and walked ahead, with Fang Bai following closely behind.

As they entered the store, the staff immediately recognized Fang Bai and Ji Yuning's purpose and inquired, "Did you find this cat?"

Fang Bai walked over to Ji Yuning's side and nodded, affirming, "Yes."