Chapter 42 - Paper Shuffle

Start from the beginning

But, a pure meritocracy? The sound of that did intrigue me.

It didn't seem many shared that same belief. Looking toward the stage, you could see Horikita-senpai's obvious disagreement with Nagumo's ways.

What he had taken so long to build and establish. Would be whisked away in a heartbeat, and I'm sure he was more concerned with how the school would progress under this new leadership.

There were many other mixed reactions from council members on the stage. From pure delight, confusion, and regret.

But one student on the stage caught my eye. It was Ichinose. The only first-year student on that stage. When had she been elected to the student council? It would've been a big deal within our year, so it was a surprise I only just learned about it.

The ceremony finished, and many students quickly dispersed from the gymnasium to return to classes or have a brief break.

I was planning to go meet with the new President to offer my 'congratulations' but something unexpected stopped me.

"Fukumoto-kun?"

"Nishino?" I turned around to see the girl from Class C. "It's been a while. How are you?"

"I'm good, I'm good," she responded absentmindedly. "Can I borrow you for a sec? I need to talk with you."

"Uh... sure, I've got time," this interaction felt rather strange. I had talked to Nishino a few times prior. But we weren't friends or anything. More so, acquaintances, I'd say.

She immediately turned toward an exit and hurriedly made her way out of the gymnasium.

I had to quicken my pace to keep up with her fast walking, otherwise, I would've lost her.

After following her for a bit, we stopped outside behind the gymnasium. Not a very conspicuous spot seeing as everyone was leaving the gym.

"So, Fukumoto-kun, there's something I have to ask you..."

"There's been a rumor floating around the school that a girl in our year will confess to you sometime soon."

Wait, why was a memory like that coming back to me now. What was the point of it...

Wait, no way.

Was she?

Was Nishino the girl going to confess to me? Right here?

She wasn't making eye contact with me, and her face was lightly blushed.

"Are you... by chance... going out with anyone?" Nishino asked.

"No, I'm not," dang, sounded kind of lame.

"Okay, good," Nishino let out a sigh of relief.

"Good?" I asked.

"Well, uh, eh, it's just that you're a popular guy, you know? I just wanted to know..." Nishino got, even more, flustered the more she spoke. "You see, it's just I've been kind of interested in you for a while now... People kept talking about this great new student named Fukumoto, so I wanted to see for myself."

I guess she wasn't the one going to confess to me. Just wanted to talk.

"Is that why you approached me on the cruise ship?"

"Yeah, that's why. And after hanging out with you for a bit and seeing you compete during the special exams. You kinda grew on me, and I guess that's why we're here now."