|| 24. Dad (UN-EDITED)

Start from the beginning

Hermione's amusement transformed into a more nurturing concern as she reflected aloud, "Where would you be without me?"

"Probably starved." Y/N whispered.

"That's not funny." Hermione sneered sharply.

A hint of a smile tugged at Y/N's lips in response to Hermione's sentiment, their connection evident in her expression. Hermione reached for her bag, retrieving a packet of crisps and a sandwich. 

"Come on," she coaxed gently, "eat something."

Y/N's gaze lingered on Hermione for a moment, a mixture of gratitude and amusement dancing in her eyes. "You really have a talent for bossing me around," she remarked, her playful protest accompanied by a smirk. Despite the casual exchange of words, the underlying bond between them was unmistakable.

"Hm, it's my forte." Hermione replied playfully, Y/N smiling.

✴✴✴✴✴

The five friends disembarked from the train, stepping onto the bustling platform that was alive with the excitement of impending reunions and holiday festivities. The atmosphere was filled with an air of camaraderie and shared experiences, and they couldn't resist capturing the moment in a few photographs, their smiles captured in frames that would serve as cherished memories.

As the time to part ways drew near, Hermione's voice cut through the chatter. "See you in two weeks?" Her question hung in the air, accompanied by a subtle tinge of longing. Y/N responded with a smile and a nod, acknowledging the impending separation with a mix of anticipation and melancholy.

"Merry Christmas," Y/N's voice was a gentle whisper, carrying the essence of warmth and goodwill. Hermione returned the sentiment with a nod of her own, their unspoken connection evident in their exchanged glances.

Then, unexpectedly, Hermione leaned in closer, causing Y/N to instinctively flinch and take a step back, her heart skipping a beat in the process. However, as her initial apprehension dissolved, Y/N's posture relaxed. 

Hermione's arms encircled her in a tender embrace, a gentle and unexpected gesture that caught Y/N off guard. The touch was intimate, and Y/N felt the heat rush to her cheeks, her breath hitching ever so slightly as her world momentarily contracted to this single, significant moment.

Eventually, the embrace eased, Hermione's grasp gentle as she released Y/N. Y/N's cheeks burned, her hands rising to instinctively cover her face, both in an attempt to hide her flushed countenance and to process the whirlwind of emotions that surged within her. 

"Take care," Y/N murmured almost breathlessly, her words imbued with an awkward blend of gratitude and longing.

Hermione's reply was soft and understanding. "Until then, don't miss me that much." she whispered, her gaze holding Y/N's until the latter turned and began to walk away. 

Hermione's heart pounded in her chest, a symphony of emotions echoing within her as she watched Y/N's retreating figure, cheeks similarly tinted with a rosy hue, encapsulating the undeniable tension that had lingered between them.

Y/N ambled through the bustling train station, her cheeks still carrying the faint glow of a lingering blush. The sensation was a delicate reminder of the embrace she had shared with Hermione just moments ago. 

Her gaze swept across the station's expanse, her eyes searching for a familiar face—her mother's, to be precise. However, amidst the sea of faces, the one she sought remained elusive, causing a touch of worry to edge into her thoughts.

Abruptly, a hand settled upon her shoulder, a presence that tugged her attention from her contemplations. Y/N instinctively pivoted on her heel, her initial response marked by a momentary flinch, her arms reflexively rising as if to shield herself before they relaxed, and her lips parted in recognition.