|| 23. Do You Like Her? (UN-EDITED)

Comenzar desde el principio

"Merry Christmas," Y/N greeted warmly, her red eyes locking with Hermione's for a fleeting instant, a silent exchange of emotions passing between them.

Aurora, her expression unchanging, interjected, "What's your purpose here?"

Hermione's brows knitted in mild bewilderment. "Just... catching up with Y/N, you know. We're friends."

Aurora's response was dry and to the point. "Well, you've caught up. Depart if you wish." This statement elicited a slight scoff from Hermione, and a silent communication of understanding was exchanged between Seraphina and Sophie, complete with subtle smirks.

Contrary to Aurora's suggestion, Y/N's voice held a tone of finality as she affirmed, "No, you can stay." Aurora's gaze shifted away as Hermione claimed her seat beside Y/N, a small smile playing on her lips.

The ensuing silence was filled by Hermione's soft admission, accompanied by a faint blush, "So, um... I got you something."

Y/N's lips parted slightly, curiosity dancing in her eyes. "Oh? What's the surprise?"

Hesitation flickered across their gazes as they met, only to divert almost involuntarily. Hermione retrieved a dainty box from her pocket, adorned with a crimson ribbon that matched the shade of Y/N's eyes.

"It's not extravagant, but I crafted you a keychain," Hermione shared, her smile genuine and understated.

Y/N's face lit up with a mixture of delight and appreciation. "It's wonderful, Hermione. I genuinely—" She paused, the words hanging for a moment, a fleeting pause before they emerged. "Thank you."

For the first time, Y/N had uttered Hermione's name, and their eyes locked in an unspoken connection, a tender moment suspended between them.

"You have my gratitude, Y/N," Hermione responded, and Y/N's heart responded with a delicate flutter, her mouth parting slightly in surprise. Her first attempt at speaking resulted in a slight crack in her voice, so she cleared her throat before retrieving something from her pocket.

In a soft murmur, Y/N began, her fingers deftly revealing a familiar petite box. However, this time, the ribbon that adorned it bore the hue of brown, perfectly mirroring Hermione's own warm-toned eyes.

"I, um... actually got something for you too," Y/N stated with an affectionate smile, the air around them lightened by her words, prompting a chuckle from Hermione.

"Seriously?" Hermione inquired, her fingers gently undoing the ribbon's knot. Inside, a charming design of an otter greeted her gaze. "You remembered that otters are my favorite animals?" she questioned, a faint rosy hue gracing her cheeks.

Y/N offered an explanation, her voice holding an air of casual sincerity. "Well, it was more of a chance encounter. I just happened to come across it, and it instantly reminded me of you. It wasn't a conscious decision to remember, really." Her words prompted a soft smile from Hermione, an unspoken understanding passing between them.

Hermione's voice was gentle as she instructed, "Now, it's your turn." Y/N nodded in response, her fingers tracing the edges of the box's lid in anticipation.

Y/N cautiously opened the box, her lips curving into a smile accompanied by a faint trace of bewilderment. "A bobcat?" she inquired, her gaze shifting toward Hermione, who responded with a serene nod.

Hermione's voice carried a hint of contemplation. "Cats have always brought your essence to my thoughts," she mused aloud.

Y/N's smile grew, the expression warmed by an undercurrent of gratitude. "It's adorable," she affirmed, her words a tender acknowledgment. "I... um, thank you, Hermione," she murmured, her cheeks flushed in response to the thoughtful gesture.