2

Nic's PoV

Once I got off the plane in San Diego I grabbed my bags and headed towards the doors when I noticed Aunt Sarah waiting with a sign.

"Oh my god Sarah!" I screamed and ran towards her pulling her in for a hug once I got close enough.

I haven't been able to see Aunt Sarah and Uncle Tom since I graduated from TopGun three years ago. In the middle of all my thoughts and my looking around for Uncle Tom, Sarah speaks and breaks me out of my own world.

"Tom isn't with me sweetie, he had a bunch of work to catch up on, but we will definitely need to have a dinner or lunch while you're here so you can tell us all about the past three years." Sarah tells me as she grabs the handle of one of my suitcases and starts off towards the parking garage.

"You do realize that we facetimed every other day the whole time I was in Hawaii right?" I replied while grabbing my second suitcase and jogging to catch up to Sarah.

"Yes but honey facetime and talking to the real person face to face is different. 58% of communication is body language and that is very hard to read through a screen." Sarah laughed as we made out way to her car.

"I guess thats fair. So Sarah do you know anything about why I'm here by chance, or who else might be here for the same reason?" I tried to make it sound as nonchalant as I could, but she picked up on my nerves about what this mission could be.

"I'm sorry sweetie I don't know anything about the mission other than there are twelve Top Gun graduates. Ice hasn't let much else slip about it." She replies with a slight sigh.

"It's all good. I was just hoping maybe Ice would let slip who else would be here." I respond while turning to look back out the window. "Are you taking me to base now?" I ask while watching the city pass

"Yes. Ice gave me clear instructions that I was to pick you up and drive you straight to base so that you can report and get settled into your new room and meet your roommate." She responded with a gleam in her eye that told me she knew more than she was letting on.

During the rest of our short drive we sang along to the radio like we did when I was younger. It was as if no time had passed. Like I was the girl In middle school who had no care in the world. Who still had a strong family like unit that spent more time together than they did apart.

But like all memories, it faded as the base came into view.

We pulled up to the gate and I handed them my military ID along with Sarah's. After they let us in she drove me to the small line of apartment like buildings and stopped at building D.

"All of the pilots for this mission are in this building, but thats all I am allowed to say." Sarah said as she put the car in park.

"Well that's good to know I guess. Is it bad that I'm kinda scared?" I ask trying to mask the shakiness of my voice and looking down.

"No Nic honey, being nervous is natural. I would be more worried if you were 100% confidant going into this mission." Sarah said as she lifted my chin and pushed hair out of my face. "Fear is the way your body reminds you that you are human. You aren't an emotionless machine. Just don't let the fear keep you from achieving your goals."

"Thank you Aunt Sarah, I have definitely missed our girl talks." I say pulling her into a hun before getting out if the car and grabbing my luggage from the trunk. "I'll see you in a few days? Maybe after we have been briefed and I've settled in a bit I can come by for dinner."