hummingbird

She runs through the door arms full of grocery bags, forgetting to shut the door behind her. Her golden hair, loosely tied back in braids fly behind her as she moves quickly through the house. She is a flurry of energy. If I didn't believe it to be impossible, I would think she had overcaffeinated.

She is talking about all things regarding her day, but I can barely make them out. She is beautiful and I am infatuated with her in ways that go far beyond what a normal lover would feel. I try desperately to catch every word, but I am caught in all of who she is.

She is a whirlwind of movement flitting from one room to the other so quickly, I can barely keep up. I take the bags from her and place them on the kitchen counter. She has not stopped speaking. She has, however, bent down to pet the dog, picked up the dishes, started a load of laundry, and unload the groceries. All the while continuing an eloquent diatribe.

I love her always. I delight in her when she is like this. It contradicts her usual composure. I am honored by the fact that she will share her feelings and her day with me. I am overjoyed that we are able to be here in this place and that we have a future.

I missed her today, but my spirit has missed her all of the years before we met.

I lean against the counter, energy drink in hand and watch as she flies around the house completing various tasks while spewing forth all other thoughts and feelings about the day.

I can't help but smile. I don't think she notices. If she did she would have stopped to ask me why. I don't wish her to stop. She is adorable. I can't stop watching. I know that I should be more helpful, but these moments don't come around often.

I climb out of my thoughts just long enough to listen, "Could you help me unload the car? I accidentally stopped by Target today and ended up with more things than I needed. I also stopped by the game store and bought you some magic cards, I thought that you and Dan, maybe Thomas, could do a draft or something fun like that. I got cat and dog food, paid our bills, and brought home some steak and salad things for dinner. Does that sound good to you? I stopped by the hardware store for those new deadbolts that you wanted. I had the best time with Cleo and the girls today. Cleo made this cinnamon chocolate thing that was amazing and Lily brought over some new coffee that she and Dan roasted. Did you know that they roast their own coffee? It was so good. I was talking to Jessy today and we think we should go on a camping trip. I know that the outdoors is not your favorite place after having to live the way that you did for so long, but this time I would be with you and we could take the dog? What do you think? We can talk about it later. I also think we should plan on having a dinner party. A fancy one where we dress up. Wouldn't that be nice? Now that we have this place and we are established? I want you to feel comfortable though so if you say no to that, well that is just fine. Now that you can travel for fun is there anywhere you would like to go? What would be your favorite place? I like the cold and not the hot. I know that you do as well. We should go to Iceland or Norway. Somewhere where we could stay in an ice castle and cuddle up in each other's arms. Do you think Boomer is lonely? Should we get another dog? I hate these dishes. Why did I buy them? I have to get out of these shoes. They are so cute, don't you think? But they are not easy on the feet. Also, I need a pedicure badly... and a massage, we should go get one of those couple's massages, better yet, we should just give each other massages soon. Yes, that would be a much better idea. Tomorrow I have the morning free, do you want to go to breakfast? How often should a normal person go out to breakfast? I feel like it should be every day. We still have to go and unload the car. I got new sheets for the bed and a new dress that you should see me in. I bought that phone cord thing that you needed and a couple of lamps. Well, you will see when we unload. Also at the hardware store, I bought a new lighting fixture for the kitchen. Do you think we need new flooring in here?"

I can't take it anymore. I move behind her and place my hand on her her hips. Leaning into her ear, I lower my voice and whisper, "Please, shut up, Love." I nibble a little on her ear and her words stop. As I feel her tension begin to uncoil and I spin her around and prepare to give her a proper welcome home greeting. I lean in and bite her lower lip before gently, barely grazing her lips with mine, then deepen the kiss asking for more. She obliges. We eventually pull away and stare at each other as if we had spent lifetimes apart instead of only a few hours. My fingers brush the hair off of her face hers play with the hair at the base of my neck. The silence at this moment is almost deafening compared to the madness that existed a few minutes earlier.

She meets my eyes, "That is better." I tell her, still feeling the need to speak in a hushed tone, "I have missed you today." She is in my arms, right where she belongs. I direct her to the couch. "Shall we sit and have a conversation? I would love to discuss some of these things with you. For example, how does one "accidentally " stop by Target? Boomer is not lonely, he has Jester, the cat, as a friend. I would also like a vacation with you and I don't care where we go as long as I am with you and there are cuddles involved. We can go out to breakfast anytime that you want to. I would never judge...and giving you a massage sounds like a wonderful idea."

She smiles a deep broad smile. "Thank you for understanding me and for listening to my crazy rambles."

"I am sure that I didn't hear everything. I was slightly distracted and at a significant disadvantage." I say pulling her into the couch next to me. She leans her head on my shoulder and I trace fine circles up and down her arm.

"DIstacted? Disadvantage?" She asks.

"Yes, beautiful girl." I play with her hair as I speak, "You and those cute shoes distract me. You are incredible and accomplished. You are gorgeous and full of life and I love it. Sometimes it requires all I have to take it all in. The disadvantage that I am under is twofold. Those jeans, they are dangerous and my adoration for you makes it impossible for me to avoid thinking about how lucky I am to know you. I had a hard time waiting for you to slow down long enough to catch you. I wanted to kiss you since the moment that you flew through the door, but it was like trying to catch a hummingbird.

"I am sorry that I..."

"Baby, you have nothing to be sorry for. I love watching you flutter about and see how happy you are. It has been a wish of mine for us to be settled and have enough freedom to be able to dream about our future." I pause and kiss her lightly. I can smell her jasmine hair and taste the coffee on her lips. "Now that we have had a minute and we have greeted each other well," I continue, "Let's go out and unload the car, I want to hear all about your day and the plans that we should make."

"I would love that, but I think I it may have to wait." She adds, a look of determination crossing her face. "I don't think I have been satisfactorily welcomed home. It may take a bit more time before I truly believe that you missed me."

She places a seductive kiss on my lips and pulls herself up off of the couch. Heading to the bedroom, I see her pull her shirt off of her head.

It takes me about 2 seconds to catch up to her.

I have a few ideas of my own that I need to share.