siberia

She had bundled up the best she could, layer upon layer of fabric, meant to block out the bitter cold. Her well-worn mittens were threadbare and did little to protect her from the weather. Her scarf was wrapped tightly around her head and face in such a way that only get only her nose and eyes peeked out from behind.

The landscape was bleak and gray, flat and stark. Snow covered the windows and the doors, they would have had to dig paths to escape their houses, but they didn't have that problem.

They had been living in unoccupied, forlorn buildings that they could find. These were mainly comprised of abandoned factories or dilapidated apartment complexes on the outskirts of town. That meant no heat, no bed, no rest. Currently, they were in an abandoned farmhouse that rested on the peak of a hill where the outline of the city could be seen. Wallpaper that had once brought life and color to this place had faded and peeled off of the walls. The ceiling sagged and leaked in a few places. and the floorboards creaked and occasionally holes would emerge under the weight of your foot, but this is the closest thing to a home that she had felt for quite a while.

Despite the downsides, she wouldn't trade this life for the one she used to have. She wouldn't trade it for anything. She was warm enough in his arms, his love for her was sustenance in the most dire situation.

The food had been scarce, yet he managed to always provide whatever he could, sacrificing his own needs for hers. He would always make sure that she was taken care of because he loved her as much as she loved him, but she also knew that part of this was his misplaced sense of guilt. He would tell her that he never should have brought her on this journey, that it was unfair, that she deserved better. She tried to convince him that this was not the truth, that she chose to be with him, but she knew that in the deepest parts of his heart, he couldn't hear her words, he could only feel responsible.

She knew that there was nothing better than his love and nothing better than a life spent by his side, wherever that life took them.

They had almost been caught and had to resort to the harshest of environments hoping beyond hope that his pursuers would tire of looking for him in such an unpleasant place. It had been months now and the pursuers were so close, that he was afraid to move. Trying to leave the country had been out of the question. They just had to wait a while longer, out here on this hillside covered in snow, crouching and hiding, moving in the shadows, blending in with all of the other wanderers just trying to survive the frigid air.

In the night, the coldest time of all, he would find whatever blankets he could and hold her hostage in his embrace, trying to give all of his warmth to her. He would remind her that he would not allow this life to last for much longer, that soon his pursuers would give up and move far enough away for them to leave. He would tell her stories of their next escape, a place with sun and light. She could imagine the heat on her skin and the sand between her toes. He would hold her tight and speak to her of all of the things that would keep them warm at night and her face would redden as the smile crept across her face.

The nights were long, but she felt the heat build inside of her at his words, words that helped her bear the weight of this place.

He was with her, that was all that she needed. He was the one that kept her layering on the clothes and bearing the worst of the cold, the one that kept the smile on her face and left her with no regrets. When she went with him she didn't know what this life would entail, but she wouldn't go back, wouldn't change it.

It seemed impossible but that was the truth.

There was nothing that she would trade for a life with him.

While she dreamed of the sun and of the better places, while she remembered the feeling of coming home to a nice bed in an apartment filled with all of the pretty things, she had never been happier or more thankful for her life than she was with him, sharing all of the hardships and joys together.

She crouched on the top of that hillside hidden in the shade of the abandoned farmhouse. The wind whipped around her face, biting at her eyes, and stiffening her fingers, while she waited for him to return with news. She had found a storehouse in her adventure today, one that was filled with canned goods. Tonight they would have a feast. Her heart leaped with joy that she was able to surprise him this way.

Some people bought lavish gifts for their lover, but she brought home canned spaghetti and was just as excited as Christmas morning for him to return and see what awaited him after his long journey.

She remained on the hill, keeping watch until the sun began to set, dreaming of the sun and of him, of their life outside of this place. She believed that he would find a way to escape this. It was almost twilight and she was about to worry when she saw his huddled figure swoop around the side of another long-since abandoned building.

She couldn't help but smile at the sight of him. She watched his graceful movements as he slipped from one building to the next with ease despite the snow piled high. He got closer and his eyes found hers, though most never would have known she was there. Her waiting spot was a good one, but they were magnets for each other, always able to pick each other out in a crowd.

His steps quickened. She knew that he was rushing to get back to her, his arms as lonely as hers were without him.

When they met, it was as two lovers meeting after a long separation, a crash of bodies thirsty for each other. They had only been apart for a few hours, but in this place, it felt like days. There was no hope here, no chance of relief or rest. This town, this country was only survivable because he was with her.

His gloved hand brushed against her cheek. She could feel his touch through the scarf and she was immediately warm and safe.

Let's get in out of the cold," I say excitedly, grabbing his hand and pulling him behind her, "I have a surprise for you."

"I also have news and a surprise for you." He whispered into her ear. His words were light on the tongue, filled with hope and promise. He had come behind her and wrapped himself around her waist as they headed inside.

It wasn't much warmer inside but the wind couldn't touch them and he was there. He was more than enough to make all of the cold and the difficulties of the past month worth it.

His eyes widened at the sight in front of him. Food had been hard to find these past few months. Seeing the many choices for dinner was the best gift he could have received. Second only to the gift of her presence and her love.

"A feast and then the surprise?" he asked, pleased at the outcome of the day and that he had something to offer her in return. His face seemed less burdened than usual and he was lighter on his feet, spinning her around on her toes like a ballerina.

She nodded and removed her scarf as she kissed him quickly on the cheek before she began dinner preparation. She wondered what his surprise was but it didn't really matter. The truth was that he was, with or without a surprise, worth it all. Moments with him, even the hard times, were all that she wanted.

He came up behind her and whispered in her ear. "After dinner, I think we should pack our bags and head somewhere warmer. Maybe we can find you a bikini and some sandals, maybe some sunglasses." He couldn't wait until after dinner to tell her, couldn't wait to get her out of this place, couldn't wait until he saved her from this desolation.

"Who needs a bikini?" she asked and he laughed. She spun around in his arms and plastered kisses on his face.

"Woman, make my dinner," he teased, "We have a train to catch, well a train, then a shuttle, then a few miles of a hike, then a night in an abandoned bar.." she interrupted his words with more kisses.

"I don't care where we are and how we get there as long as I am with you," She met his eyes as she spoke, "You are all that I will ever need or want."

He held her face in his hands, her cheeks already rosy from the cold, further reddened by his touch. He leaned in and gave her a deep and loving kiss, one with so much meaning that tears swirled in her eyes.

She could feel his heart in this moment and, without words, she knew that she was all that he needed as well.