The Battle of Fools Part 1

Kyn had never told anyone anything about himself before. About whom he was. The only people who knew of his old occupation were his brother, and a select few of those that were under his employ: namely the Demon-Heads that all reported to him.

It was a strange sensation for someone, especially someone that used to be his enemy, to know such a secret about him.

Strange. Before I left my brother's crazy cult, I was supposed to have assassinated The Tempest. The only Omega in the world that wasn't sided with my brother's Syndicate.

Don't get him wrong. He didn't want to be her friend. None of these Enforcers were very good people. All of them were so focused on themselves that they couldn't care less about their people. They were murderers. But, then again, so was he.

But none of that mattered, because there was only one thing that mattered. He had to stop his brother; costs be damned.

"So, how long are you gonna' sit in this cell, assassin?"

Kyn snapped his head to a petite woman with gray hair and eyes who stood outside of his cell.

How--how long has she been here? I couldn't hear a step or see a thing, even with my enhanced reflexes and senses.

"Don't look so surprised. You've seen my skill."

What had Tempest called this girl? Artemis? Yeah, that was it.

"What do you want, Artemis?" Kyn remained stoic, emotionless.

"Like I said...how long are you gonna' sit in this cell?"

"You say that as if I have a choice to leave. If so, then I'll take my leave now."

"Don't bullshit me, trash." Artemis said with a sneer. "I hate sentient creatures like you and even me. We're all liars and cheaters. And, thankfully, I can see through your lies. You could leave this cell anytime you wanted...isn't that right, Bane?"

Kyn's eyes widened, and he flexed his fist unintentionally. "Ho--how--"

"How did I know that you were a Bane? I can smell it on you. And you're a strong one. No wonder I couldn't beat you, even with Gray at my side. Hell, Tempest couldn't have beaten you unless you wanted her to. Something tells me that you're here because you want to be here. So, what do you want with The Enforcers?"

Kyn couldn't believe she'd figured him out so easily. It was true that these people were his enemies...and the last thing he wanted was to collaborate with them, but...

He tried to play it off cool, as if he expected this. "Pft. I figured someone would have figured it out. Whatever. You're right, I am strong. I could destroy all of you Enforcers on my own, much less without my Bane unleashed."

Artemis smiled. He got the feeling that she wanted something from him.

The way she looked at him was like he was some kind of lab experiment, or a valuable resource. "Then--" Suddenly, her voice quivered, showing an emotion beyond the sneering anger she had kept up till now. "Then, help us."

That caught him off guard. "Wait...what? Why--I thought--"

She pulled out a small remote and shut off the energy barrier that kept him locked in. "I'm not one to beg...but...please. We need your help. Tempest...is in trouble. She's facing someone with powers unlike anything I've ever seen. And all our reinforcements are on assignment."