i missed you

december 3rd, 2008. charleston, south carolina

"So I'll watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep,
and I'll feel you forget me like I used to feel you breathe."

*Just a little warning, there is very subtle smut in this chapter. You probably wouldn't even call it smut. But still just a warning!*

18-year-old Betty looked like a mess in the cafeteria. She had mascara running down her face, and stains on her white t-shirt. 'Fearless' the album had just been released. It was #1 on the billboards, and everyone at school was obsessing over Taylor Swift. It was impossible for Betty to hear her voice all the time. They used her songs everywhere. When people who went to the party that Betty took Taylor to, and realized it was her, told everyone about their summer fling three years ago, people wouldn't leave her alone.

"Betty, did you guys have sex?" a random sophomore asked, her tone filled with curiosity and a hint of judgment.

Betty shook her head, looking up from her study guide for her test. Her voice pleading for her to stop. "Please, just leave it alone."

"But I heard you guys got a room when you were drunk," the sophomore persisted, not willing to let the subject drop.

Betty's hands trembled, her tears flowing steadily as the memories flooded back. "It's all bullshit," she said, her voice cracking with emotion. She had come to terms with her past with Taylor, but this relentless questioning dredged up all the pain she had worked so hard to overcome.

The girl sneered, attempting to diminish their relationship. "She only writes songs about guys."

Betty's patience snapped, her anger mixing with her sorrow. "Do you have any idea how fucking annoying you are?" she retorted, her voice laced with frustration. She stared at the girl, her eyes filled with tears, and the sophomore rolled her eyes before finally leaving.

As Betty wiped away her tears, the weight of her heartache settled heavily upon her. The cafeteria's bustling atmosphere felt like a cruel reminder of her isolation. Mascara streaked down her face, mirroring the pain that consumed her.

Months had gone by. Betty was accepted to Harvard and Columbia on early admission. Betty was getting used to hearing Taylor's voice all the time. They were still at #1 on billboards, and there was no escape, so she just adjusted to it. Everything was settling back to normal, until a photo was released of the two girls kissing at the beach. It was from the jerky boy many years ago, and it wasn't just at school. It was all over. Magazines, articles, and eventually to Taylor's attention. She was caught up in all of it. She didn't know if she should explain it was a summer fling, or deny that it was her. Either way, it would be tough. In the midst of all of it, Bettys girlfriend of a year broke up with her.

May 14th, 2009

Taylor looked in her wallet. She kept the little post-it with Betty's phone number. "I have to." Taylor decided to text in the number, just to see if she'd respond.

Unknown number: Betty?

Betty looked at her phone. She had been getting all sorts of texts from random people asking about Taylor.

You: If this is a question about Taylor, I'm not gonna answer.

Taylor figured that people had been harassing her about it. She felt horribly for all the pain she had once caused, and the reoccurring stress recently.

Unknown number: It's Taylor.

You: What?

Unknown number: I kept the piece of paper with your number. I bring it everywhere, actually.