CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

Start from the beginning

I pull away and stand up. "I think I just proved my point." I stroll to the bathroom. "What? You-" Darelle stammers. "I was just being a kind human."

"Yeah keep telling yourself that." I shout, slipping into the bathroom.

While I'm eating brunch, Camila texts me that she's already at the venue. Honestly, she's more hard working than I am.

"So I'll see you later?"

"Yeah I have a meeting with your dad."

"My dad?"

He breaks eye contact "Yeah Crapper talks." Right Crapper. Who's still under my dad's custody. Earlier this week, the case was dismissed indefinitely but Malia was charged with sexual assault.

"Okay bye."

Fifteen minutes later, I'm parking in the basement of what I'll soon call my office building. God, I've come so far. I meet Camila by the entrance of the terrace we're supposed to host the event. "Please tell me nothing's been cancelled." I rush out.

She flips a paper on the clipboard she's carrying "Nope everything's okay. As you can see," she points to our right "The PA system guys are currently setting up. I also already guided them on your presentation. The events guys are bringing up the last of their equipment. The books and pens will arrive in a while and so will the wine."

"Wow you really got the hang of everything." I compliment.

"What can I say? I love my job." She winks.

"Well let's pray they show up or we won't have a company to run."

She straightens her wool sweater. "You know we have this saying in Spain; Al mal tiempo, bueno cara."

"What does it mean?" I ask.

"Literally it means to bad weather, good face. Figuratively; even if things go wrong, everything will work out better with a positive mind or rather; you have to look on the bright side." She explains.

"You're such a darling."

I stay until I make sure all the preparations are done to the bone albeit with only few hiccups to address.

"Rest easy Keilee, people will come if not for anything at least for the free booze. Go change. I'll stay here and make sure things are okay." Camila urges.

With only two hours left till the party starts, I drive home in a rush because if there's one thing I'm good at is being fashionably late. I find Darelle setting out his tuxedo on the bed "Well someone's in a rush." I hug him from behind.

He turns and holds me at arm's length "I have to be. It's my girlfriend's big day." His lips tip up "And I can't make her fashionably late for her own company launch."

"I know but I'm really so hungry." I complain.

"And that's why I bought a shawarma for you on my way home. Go eat I'll bring your outfit out for you."

"Aaaw you're too sweet." I let him carry our weight for a minute before I sit to gobble the shawarma on the nightstand.

"So how did it go?" he asks, gathering my dress from the closet.

"Great." I say in between eating. "The only thing that could go wrong is people not showing up."

"People will show up and even if they don't, Kira, your dad, my mom, Jake and I will be there. That's enough people for a party."

"Mmm" I hum, swallowing the last of my shawarma. "Also I think you should get dressed in the guest room." I suggest.

"Why?"