Chapter 16 - Between Dreams and Reality

Start from the beginning

He steps closer to me, his eyes now visible in the dim light of the room. They're dark and dangerous, and I instinctively take a step back.

"You think those men love you?" he asks, his voice low and full of malice. "They don't even know the real you, the girl behind the mask you wear to hide your pain. I know you, Phee. I know every part of you, even the parts you don't show to anyone else."

I shake my head, refusing to believe him. "You don't know me. You never did. "

"That's where you're wrong, Phee," he replies, a cruel smirk playing on his lips. "I know that you don't love those men, not like you love me. What you have with them is all fake and when I return, you will see that too."

I feel my anger boiling and my hands shaking as I listen to his words. He was always good at playing with my mind, making me doubt myself and my own feelings.

But not this time.

Not anymore.

"You're wrong," I say. "I love them. They love me. And if you come near them or my family, I will put you down like I should have done decades ago."

He chuckles, his eyes now gleaming with a sadistic pleasure. "Is that a threat?" he asks, taking another step closer to me. "You really think you can stop me?"

I stand my ground, refusing to back down.

"I will do whatever it takes to protect them," I say firmly.

He hums in delight, "We will see."

He looks me over with a glint, "Your different since we last saw each other. You've grown stronger, fiercer. I like it. But don't forget, Phee, I still have power over you. I always will."

His words send shivers down my spine, but I refuse to let him see my fear.

"That's where you're wrong," I say, my voice steady. "You may have had power over me in the past, but not anymore. I've moved on, and I won't let you control me again."

He throws his head back and lets out a loud laugh.

"Moved on? You think you've moved on?" he says, his laughter turning into a sneer. "You're still the same girl you were back then, Phee. You can try to fool yourself and the people around you, but you're still the same pathetic girl who fell for my lies."

"Stop calling me that!" I demand as I feel the anger boiling inside me again, and this time I don't hold back.

Without a second thought, I lunge at him but he catches me by my throat and smirks at me.

"No magic here." he states as I struggle in his hold.

I try to gasp for air as his grip tightens around my neck. Panic sets in as I realize that I may not be able to overcome him physically not while we are in his playground.

But then I remember that I don't have to.

With every ounce of me, I channel my anger and fear into a burst of energy that emanates from behind us. An energy type hole appears behind him which makes him release me in order to investigate it.

I rub my neck as he gets close to it, the shadow woman from my haven steps through it. She grabs him by his throat with a fierce grip, and he struggles to break free.

"You are unwelcome here." She says before dragging him with her as she walk away the same way that she came, taking him with her.

She stops before she is fully through the hole, "Be careful. It's not safe."

As the energy hole closes behind, I find myself bolting straight up in bed.

I search my surroundings and find myself alone in bed with no evidence that Klaus or Elijah had joined me last night.