𝟬𝟭𝟬. burden

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗
010. burden
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝

"it's gonna get dark soon. we'll be safe with our backs protected Finnick fiddled with his trident in one hand while the other was halfheartedly playing thumb war with a wide eyed Lyra. She was still quite shocked by the events that had happened earlier in the day and wanted to stay as close to Finnick as possible. "We should set up camp, take turns sleeping. I can take first watch"

"Not a chance" Katniss breathed out amusedly, shaking her head slightly as Finnick stood up, stopping the game he and Lyra were playing and grabbing her hand, lifting her form her crouched position also.

"Honey" he began, earning a light slap on the torso from the blonde girl for calling Katniss the nickname. "that thing I did back there for Peeta? That was called 'saving his life'. If I wanted to kill either of you, I would've done it by now" he informed/ threatened before walking away with Lyra in hand.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

it had been a few hours, and it was now much darker than earlier in the day."How's Peeta?" Finnick asked the defensive looking girl.

"He's okay" she began "I think. Just dehydrated like the rest of us" Katniss looked as though she was going to continue with her sentence until the Panem anthems played throughout the arena, making Lyra jump up from her spot laying down in a starfish shape, using her finger to trace the scars that littered Finnicks arm.

The projections of the fallen tributes flashed avross the ceiling of the dome as both Finnick and Lyra moved to hold on tight to the others hand, hoping not to see Joannas face.

"Eight" Katniss mumbled after the music had ended.

"Mmm-hmm"

All three looked up tiredly from their resting positions when a parachute attached package slowly floated toward the ground as a chiming sound rung out through the trees.

Katniss rose to her feet quickly to investigate and muttered something to herself that neither Finnick nor Lyra could hear.
"What is it?" The taller of the two asked curiously while Lyra squealed a small 'gifts!' before scurrying over to Katniss and peering over her shoulder at the donation excitedly.

"It's from Haymitch, I think it's a spile"

"A What?" The district four tributes asked curiously in synchronisation. The couple could only watch as Katniss hurried up to a near tree and began bashing the strange metal object into the wood with a rock.

After a few seconds of anxiously staring at the tree, the trio gasped when water started pouring from the spout. "You're kidding me. You're kidding me" Finnick said ecstatically while Peeta made his way over to them.

"Get some water" the district 12 girl gasped at Peeta, having only stopped drinking a second before. After Peeta stepped back to take a break, Finnick ushered Lyra forward before him to reassure himself that she'd been hydrated.

"There we go. Well done sweetheart" he praised, gathering the hair that had called from Lyra's braid and held it up from her hit neck. "Go on, have a bit more" he rubbed circles on the b da ck of her neck with his thumb.

Once he'd had a long drink, he gazed back up at a still panting Lyra "Want some more?" He raised his eyebrows expectantly. Before he could get the answer he was searching for, alarms began sounding rhythmically throughout the forest. It sounded 12 times before it stopped abruptly.

"I counted 12"

"Midnight?"

"How many districts are there?" Lyra butted in.