Round 2 - Caught

I should have seen it sooner. I couldn't believe myself for mindlessly falling into their trap.

But I haven't just spent months running away from them all for nothing and i was prepared to put in all I've got.

I gripped my pistol and stood firmly.

"Drop you weapons Ava Lancaster, You are surrounded. I repeat, You are surrounded!" A voice boomed through the night.

"And if I don't?" I challenged, testing the waters.

"We'll have no other options but to shoot back and trust me, we don't want to hurt you."

A corner of my lips tilted upwards in a slight but visible smirk as i let the gun free-fall with a loud thump on the ground, giving them the impression that i was unarmed.

With each tentative step they took towards me, my hands inched closer to the pocket knife strapped to my belt. A similar one was tucked into my boot but I wasn't about to reveal that yet.

I swung my knife at the closest person, successfully slashing his arm. He staggered back in shock, i drew back and stabbed another man's leg, swinging my leg and throwing him off-balance.

I froze for a moment when i felt a fist ram into my face. The shock dissolved quickly and i went back to swinging my knife violently at whoever came close enough.

This went on for a little while until I discovered that my movements were getting sloppy and my strength was draining with each swing.

They used this opportunity to cease my arms just as my knees buckled.

I slumped, feeling too weak to move a muscle. Footsteps approached and stopped right in front of me. I traced dusty brown stilettos upto meet the withered face of a stranger.

"We finally meet, Ava. You are really hard to catch, you know?"

I ignored the comment, my glare burning harsher than the sun.

"Wh-what have you done to me?"

The woman reached behind me and pulled a dart from my neck. "I came prepared, knew you'd fight back so I brought a little gift. Tetrodotoxin to keep you still until we are on the way back home."

"I don't belong there and I never will. Don't pretend like you know me." I spat.

She chuckled drily, "I know you think you're doing the right thing but you're wrong. What will your little activist group think when they find out that you're the daughter of the man that led to the slaughter of a dozen civilians in a bombing accident? Welcome you with open arms?"

I stared at her in confusion, "My father is a governor he'd never do such a thing."

Her eyes looked at me with pity. "I'm talking about your biological father who died in an ambush before you were born. Anthony Davis."

"Y-you're lying." I stuttered, losing my confidence.

"I wish I was. The Governor as you know him is your uncle, he adopted you as soon as your mother died during childbirth."