Chapter 15: Sore Throat

Start from the beginning

Kaori pulled her finger to the trigger again, this time sending a normal bullet flying towards the curse she assumed to be another grade three. The curse didn't move, letting the bullet pierce a hole through its flesh. Purple blood splattered the ground as it stood still. Kaori readied another technique infused bullet, holding the scope to her eye line. As she peered through the glass, the curse was gone. She shot her head up and saw a shadow loom over her.

The curse had leaped into the air and had raised its fists to prepare to smash her down into the dirt. The brunette quickly dug her heels into the grass, dashing underneath the weight of the grade three. The curse tore its hands from the dirt it had smashed, slowly standing up. Kaori knew it would try its same trick again.

As she leaped into the air, pulled the weapon to her eyes, and shouted, "reflect," once again, her body switched places with the air on the other side of the curse. She ended up high into the air and behind the curse just as she had planned.

"Mirror!"

The bullet shot from the barrel once again, landing in the center of the curse's massive body. The bullet then tore the curse from the inside out with the same force the curse used on the ground. Within seconds it's blood covered the surrounding grass.

Kaori landed heavily back onto the ground, panting from how much she had used her technique. Without another second to waste, she started running in the same direction again, looking for the curse she was required to exorcise in order to win the event.

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

No other curses had yet to show up, but within the distance she could hear the clatter of wood and the shattering of windows. A door was thrown open to the building she stared at, so she entered to see if a curse had taken shelter there.

Walking through the hallways, she could see blood splatters, and it was red which meant it was a human. She walked briskly, following the spots and the arrows lodged into the walls. Turning the hallway to continue her search for the injured person, a sudden rumbling of the building shook her feet and made her unbalanced. She shuffled her way to the wall and leaned onto it as her heart jumped rapidly. She could hear more wood being snapped, and could hear fast footsteps above her. She followed the noises.

She could still feel the rumbling of the building beneath her feet as she ran towards the sounds. Her footwork was unsteady as the structure shook, but she kept running, wanting to help whoever was injured. Soon, she saw an open window with a smashed in celling. Knowing that this was her way out, she rushed over to the opening, seeing a few of her classmates already out on the rooftop, battered and bruised from whatever curse was causing this mess.

One of those classmates had his brown eyes glued to the roof above her. His bloodied mouth moved again, and she knew what the drill was. She blasted her ears with cursed energy, sensing that a full coverage was needed at this moment. She closed her eyes and backed away from the window, waiting for the impact of the falling roof.

When scraps of the roof and wooden beams tumbled around her, her gun was one of the objects knocked away from her. Her eyes flew open to retrieve the tool, but knew it was a lost cause when she saw scraps lying to the side of it. Her eyes instead flicked up to see Toge falling to his knees from exhaustion.

Her breathe halted, and when she saw Megumi stand his ground, she knew she had to be the one to help. With all the words Toge had apparently been using, she knew he had probably lost consciousness from bloodloss.