Chapter One: The Past

"Doctor," the small woman said, barley speaking above a whisper. "Are you sure this is this safe?"

She sat on a lifted bed with wax paper pulled over the top, as if that would protect anything. It wouldn't protect the bed from a knife tearing through it, or even someone's fingernail. Her own nail pushed against the paper and tore it open, proving her right.

In fact the only thing it seemed to do, and do exceptionally well, was let the doctor know when she was moving. And she was certainly doing a lot of that.

The Doctor pulled a pen out of the pocket on his white coat and clicked it open, smiling after as the paper rustled beneath the nervous woman.

"Yes...," He looked down at the woman's chart, forgetting her name. "Meredith, was it?"

"It has been used on thousands of women across the United States, there is nothing to be afraid of. Plus, all of the problems were worked out in the early years, it's practically foolproof now."

Meredith simply nodded as she wrung her hands together, not an ounce calmer than before.

"But what if it doesn't work on me? What if I'm different and something goes wrong, oh god so many things could go wrong I don't even know what I'd do I could lose the baby."

She stopped her fearful babbling only when a lump choked her throat and tears puddled under her lashes. For years she tried to have a baby. Yet she'd lost them all, all three. Desperate, she researched the possibility of a stronger child; one that wouldn't be rejected by her body. It's why she was here.

The Doctor clicked his pen closed. The ideal Mother candidate, as he recalled, was one who was calm and collected - He watched as Meredith silently mourned, lost in her thoughts with her arms crossed across her midsection, holding the place where her children should have grown - Not a distraught, emotional mess. Yet a thought crossed his mind and he grinned at the possibilities. How would the child be if the Mother wasn't ideal?

In the end, he accepted Meredith into the program, and she would finally be able to carry a child. But with a catch of course.

The child will be born with a Gift and must be given back to the Society (who funded the program) at any time before age sixteen so they could learn to control their Gifts. All mothers agreed to this, too happy with the thought of a child of their own to grasp the reality of it.

And it wasn't until a few years after Meredith gave birth did her little girl begin to show signs of her Gift. And what a very strong and unpredictable Gift it was.

Frightened by what her daughter could do and fearful of her own safety, Meredith decided that giving her away would be the best idea.

So, at only the age of three, little Eva Jones was sent away from her mother and to a place she now knows as the Society.