42 : No Greater Cause

The sound of muffled jazz music that floated through the walls and hall of the Megaplex like an eerie beckon from afar. She thought vividly of aliens wishing for contact with the humans. She thought of herself, alone and trapped somewhere dark, full of strange shadows, calling for help. Moon stood over her whence he set her body down, his crimson eye watching her intently, his hands outstretched like he hesitated in touching her at all. It was like the mere thought would shatter her body like porcelain. But the strange thing was, she already felt like it.

She doesn't even remember how she's been pulled in here. She just saw a glimpse of the daycare, the silent and dead ghost town that it was, and suddenly she was in a room with a dimly lit light bulb on the ceiling, blanketed with cobwebs. The air smelled stale like wet paper. Random items and discarded merchandise were haphazardly thrown around, like a tornado invited itself into this singular room and left. Her mother would die if her room was ever like this.

The cramped room seemed to once have vibrant colored walls, but they faded with time. Boxes, dismembered robot parts, children's drawings of Sun, Moon, and other abandoned memories were scattered on the floor. An arcade machine lay dead as it casted an eerie shadow over the room. She was seated on a beanbag chair that was covered in a layer of dust. It puffed around her like smoke. It was strange that this place was so messy, despite the fact that it was in the daycare. She remembered how Sun was so obsessed with cleanliness. So why did this room remain untouched for so long?

There was something in her mouth, it took a moment for her to realize it was even there. He put something in her mouth. Something dark blue and small. It's mellow and somber taste filled her cheeks, it was the taste of sweet blueberry. It melted on her tongue like all sorts of words seemed to do. Her mind then seemed to blank, her arms and legs felt numb, the only thing she really felt was the taste that stained her throat. Blueberry... it's what it tasted like... sweet... blueberry...

She slumped to the side and eventually fell over, but Moon's arms gently caught her. He held her close within his arms like she was wounded lamb, his fingers trembling violently as his red eye was thin and crazed. He observed everything about her. Her small face, her small hands, her small, little heart that beat slowly. He felt it against the pad of his fingers. Impulsive thoughts of crushing her into red with his bare hands filled his head, and for reasons unknown, he was struck by terror. What if that little heart stopped beating? Then there would be no mess to fix. There'd be nothing to push under the rug and forget about. Because she was everything. She was everything he'd ever hoped to have.

The virus's grip on him was tight. Moon was not just fighting Sun for control, he was constantly fighting himself. But now that the static that was his CPU was finally beginning to melt away, he saw her. He saw her through the thick storm clouds. He saw her shine in a starless night sky, where the moon was supposed to be alone, and alone, and alone...

First it was the bloodlust, the anger, the confusion, the wrath, but now it was obsession. He doesn't know why, or how this was happening now. He could only assume because the Security Breach virus was beginning to loosen the hold of the previous one. Despite him being so against the Breach, fighting it to make sure it wasn't going to win the game it wanted to play, because if it did win, they would all just be transferred from one dictator to the next.

But despite all of that, it seemed to work wonders in unplugging him from the system that held them all for so long. He began to see more clearly. They all would, they would be detached from their chains, despite the fact that they would be attached to new ones. Perhaps that wasn't a part of the Breach's plan, or maybe it was. But that was the one and only good thing it could do. It was able to set them free, even if it was just for a moment.

But Moon wouldn't dare let (Y/n) go. Despite the fact that they were being mistakenly released from the bonds that tied them down, they were all still the violent husks they've been. It's what they were trained to do for a long time, and you can't untrain dogs who've known nothing but madness and unrest basically their whole lives.

Moon laid her shakily down across the bean bag. Her breathing was light and dreamless. He had to put her to sleep, he really did. She moved in the bloody waters too much, and what would the sharks do if they found her? What does the Breach so desperately want from a human girl, defenseless in a world full of the darkest of lies?

They would take her away, they would pull her apart like a doll. His crazed thoughts fed him more and more. He can't just let her leave! What kind of monster would he be to let her go?! He'd be no better than the Breach, who's constantly leaving her to fend for herself and only return what it feels it's precious human toy was being threatened. He should just stop her from moving completely, maybe he should just keep her asleep forever, feeding her little blue candies that would make her brain melt. That would be the only solution, just stop her from thinking! Stop her from thinking at all!

(Stop)

He shook in place. It was just Sun's abnormalities. It was just his brain. His silly, little thoughts wandered off one too many. He couldn't help himself. He's not violent, he swore, he's not violent. It's all them, it's their fault! Those golden eyes. The little fingers that dug into his brain like bugs! This fucked up place just gets to your head and it never leaves. It never leaves, no matter how many times he tried to push it out, and God, he's tried. He's done it all, and they say he's faulty.

They always say Sun was better because he's so "fun" and "peaceful," so much better than that scary Moon who hurts children. Moon's eyes were too red! Moon's smile was too big! He has claws, he has a scary voice, he's too tall and spindly like a spider, children are scared of him! No one likes Moon! Everyone loves Sun! Because he's just so perfect, and perfect, and perfect-

CRACK!

His fingers squeezed the candy. It crackled like glass between his fingers. It crumbled to the ground with barely a sound. A faint crackling was all it was. It was a Sundrop candy, it's vibrant yellow remains scattered on the floor. The girl didn't even stir in her sleep. But all in Moon's head was a loud crunching sound, his finger lifted up and brushed up against his hollow eye, he remembered how it was punched out like a headlight. It was her. Cracks spider-webbed his face from his fight with Freddy. He was protecting her from the scary Moon.

His fingers gently traced the side of her face. It was all her. His hands clenched into shaking fists. It was her fault (but it was his.) He wanted to hurt her. He wanted nothing more than to grab her by the throat and squeeze. She represented everything he found repulsive, innocent and kind (everything he was meant to be.) He pulled his hand away. A shudder ran through him. What was it like on the other side of the night? He'd never know.

He stared into the dusty mirror. Who was he, really? Moon, Sun, those names didn't matter, did they? Who he was didn't matter. The virus never cared. As long as he could be a puppet for temporary use, as long as he stayed in the system as another unit, another number added to someone's big list, then they didn't care what happened to him. That's why he was sacrificed so much, for the greater cause, was all the virus told him. For the greater cause, otherwise you're nothing.

Moon's eye glared at the mirror. In it, he saw smiling children, but then they all looked terrified when his shadow loomed over them. Then he saw bots, who he was supposed to command at night, but somehow he still screwed that up when all of the control he fought for slipped away from his fingers like sand. Then he saw Sun, his counterpart who came out at the break of light, his other side, his supposed half that doesn't quite fit. Then he saw himself, the nightly attendant, the head of security, the disposable puppet meant for the greater cause. His eyes flared. Fuck your greater cause.

His fist, sparkling with yellow sundrop bits and pieces, met the mirror in a fit of rage. His reflection crackled and duplicated itself a million times as cracks spread rapidly throughout the murky mirror. His fist rested on the mirror for a long while as he stared at his eternally smiling reflection. Nothing happened. It was just him.

It was all him.

Sorry not Monty chapter YET! I still got to get (y/n)'s started up for the next big scene, and then decided to add a LOT of Moon angst with it because he is constantly contradicting himself.

Thanks for all of your support! Things will start getting crazier when we start approaching  near the end of the story!