Chapter 1

Audrey's POV

It's Saturday, 11pm on the clock, and today was such a busy day, especially because we had some new customers today who kept thinking I was some small kid helping out my grandma with the shop, which gets on my nerves, but of course, I put on a sweet smile and play into it. If I'm lucky, they normally slip me five dollars for being a "Good Girl" helping out my grandma. 

On top of that, one of our younger employees, Jacob, didn't show up today and didn't even call in to say so. That left the shop to myself and my friend's grandmother. I didn't mind working with Julie as she's such a sweet and kind woman; she treats me the same as my friend Mia, as her grandchild, which I so deeply appreciate. Julie had to leave early to visit her husband in the hospital, leaving me to close the store myself.

 I don't really enjoy closing the shop, but it has to be done because Mia and her family are relying on me to do this while they are out of town on something important. It's a quaint little shop, I find it very cozy, and I like to spend time in the reading corner when I'm not working or on break. Mia's mom let me design it myself, so I got to add a fun, colorful rug, and beanbags! I have to be careful because sometimes when I read more childish books, I feel myself beginning to slip, so I have to try and distract myself with big things to stay big.

 I think Mia might know about my secret by now, but she hasn't said anything. To her knowledge, I'm just a girl with dwarfism. She acts like a big sister to me and always has; her family treats me like their own and always offers to drive me home or offer me food.

 I do decline their offer to take me home, Though I don't want to worry them or have them try and help me; I'd hate to burden their happy family. I don't hate closing, but it's definitely boring and slightly scary being alone in a dark, quiet shop; I can be strong and brave because I have to; I would hate to slip now; it wouldn't help anything. 

Just before I left, I double-checked everything to ensure it was locked and set the security system before walking twenty-five minutes to my apartment downtown. My apartment is by no means grand. Honestly, it's quite a shit hole, and it doesn't make me feel very safe because a lot of bad stuff goes on there. Still, it's all I can afford, paying a Hundred and thirty a month.

 I swear the landlord is such a creep; he's always hovering around me and trying to come into my apartment when he just has to do "routine checkups" on each resident, but I swear he only comes to my apartment, and I've seen him staring at me with such a gross look on his face.

Just as I round the corner five blocks from my place, I spot Mr. Niffles! He's the cat I always see on my way home. 

"Mr. Niffles, Hi buddy! Oh, such a lovely baby today, huh?" I coo as I stop to pet him. It's routine to meet with him before going home. I love him to bits, and he always waits for me. "Alright, Mr., You know I have to get home now, but I promise I'll bring you something yummy tomorrow as a treat, okay?"

 He just looks up at me before walking to my legs and rubbing across them before leaping over a fence. "Bye bye, Mr. Niffles' 'I whisper with a small wave. I continue my adventure, kicking a rock as I go and humming softly as I enjoy the cool night air. I love when it's the perfect amount of cold out to be comfortable with the sky clear to see all the beautiful stars in the night sky.

The closer I get to the apartment, I hear more and more yelling coming from one of the downstairs rooms, which are popular for hookers; this isn't something that happens all the time, but yelling does happen sometimes, and I try my best to avoid and ignore it all.

 As I go to unlock my door, I notice it's already unlocked? And my lights are on... "I didn't leave all of the lights on this morning, did I?" I thought to myself as I crept into the apartment and walked into the kitchen, trying to find anything to defend myself with, just in case.