While at the counter inside, he convinced the woman in charge to 'let us slide' just this once. The woman had to be my mother's age, but Jamie was a good-looking man with charm. It took a remarkable amount of small talk, flirting, and compliments from him to make it happen. The guy actually talked her into allowing us through... after the place delayed all activities and everyone left.

I was honestly impressed. "You are absolutely crazy," I said after we were given clearance to go outside. The wind flung my hair around as flakes of light rain began.

"I think you mean everyone is crazy about me."

I laughed, shaking my head. We walked to the large, enclosed area. It was framed by chain-link and had several doors to a few empty batting stations. Though I was athletic, I've never been to a batting cage. Hell, I had no idea if I'd be able to hit the ball. That didn't stop me from being boastful as we neared the rack of helmets and bats.

"What happens if it really starts to downpour though? Or there is lightning?"

"We'll stop for lightning. I didn't realize you were that much of a wuss though."

"Pft. I'm no wuss. I'm about to out preform your ass," I said, putting on my helmet. "Don't feel too intimated after seeing how good I do."

Over the thundering sky, he let out a laugh. "Then you're first, Ms. Pro."

He escorted me into the batter's box. From where he stood to the side, he pressed a button and turned on the whirling machine several yards across from us. Guess that was my cue. I stood and faced the rectangular outline on the cement. This would be interesting.

"Rule one: don't be stupid and don't let the ball hit you in the face when it comes flying at you," he said from behind me.

"What a nice rule," I smiled, raising my bat, waiting for the oncoming ball.

"Rule two: hold the bat as if you've done this before, Jos."

"Bitch, I have my own special bat-holding techniques," I smirked.

Then, when the ball shot out towards us... I didn't expect it. Not sure what I expected, but my dumbass didn't even swing. It flew past me, hit the fencing behind us, and rolled down the cement. Yup. This was how it was going to go, everyone. I could feel Jamie's humored eyes on my back.

I bit the inside of my flushing cheek, fully absorbing that embarrassing first impression I made as a batter. "Sorry, just wanted to gage it, study it, become one with it," I said proudly.

"Well, that must mean you're ready to show it whose boss. Ain't that right, killer?"

"You know it," I said with total confidence that I didn't have.

With the rain slightly picking up, it soaked into my clothes and clung to my arms. I was still able to see and focus on the ball launcher. Then, one flew out. This time, I was ready for it. I hit it hard and with a good grip. You hear me? I hit it hard and was holding it tight, so why the fuck did it not go further? I grinned and started laughing at myself – and laughed harder at his expected reaction.

"What the fuck was that?" he cracked up from behind me.

"Hey, I got some air on it," I defended.

I heard him press the button and the whirling belt that launched the balls stopped. Taking my helmet off, I turned to him. "What the hell? My ass was just warming up."

"I can't handle you embarrassing yourself like this." He stepped behind me – and yes, he did that thing you all know about and have seen in those cutesy movies. He was just being a nice guy, but I couldn't help myself. Especially when we shared a knowing and amused grin before he stepped behind me.