Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Do you guys remember Peter's words of wisdom? Embrace the freedom, leave the house, and don't be scared. Let me repeat that for those in the back: he said don't be scared.

Well... how the fuck was I supposed to be all 'cool and whatever man' when I'm home alone, cooking tacos, and a tumble and commotion thundered from upstairs?!

My eyes grew on the taco meat. The stomps and movement above me were followed by a muffled grunt and more struggling! What the fuck was that? Who the fuck was that? Nobody was home! Nobody should be upstairs. It stopped and was silent, but there's no fooling me. That was loud enough to send a cold disturbing chill up my back.

Stepping away from the stove, I peeked around the corner to the side of the staircase. Aside from the pattering rain, the air was silent and the source didn't come downstairs into sight either. But I wasn't going to wait until it did! Whether demons or not, I wasn't stick around and chance it!

Clad in just shorts and a tee, I shut off the burner, ran to the sliding door, threw it open, and ran out onto the deck. A loud thump and fuss behind me made whip my head back, and I skidded to a stop. Through the open door next to the dining table, two men were grappling on the floor! Oh my god! Jamie was over him, pinning him while landing a punch to the man's face.

Rain pelting down, I watched in horror. I was flustered, and didn't know what to do! I wanted to help, but that thought was pointless. The man maneuvered away, got to his feet, and charged towards the deck after me! Under the gloomy sky, I sprinted into the yard, but the chase was short lived when I heard both men grunt. Jamie tackled the hulking man, forcing his chest and face to the wet wood deck! Then, Jamie's hand flew to his side before he arched back... and slammed what looked like a blade into the back of his neck.

Despite the rain and being several yards from the deck, the image was vivid enough. I sucked in a sharp breath while watching the man take his last. He stopped struggling... and became still under Jamie's weight. Lifeless... just like that girl became lifeless. The sight of the man's limp body made the girl's body flash before me. The one that was over me, choking me, then went limp from her neck getting snapped. This wasn't as close of a call like that was... but my insides still dropped. I could only stare and permanently stain my brain.

It happened as quickly as it ended. Though I realized I was safe now, I didn't realize I hadn't been safe a moment ago. Something literally entered my house to kill me. That dead body on my deck could have been me. And though I didn't get hurt or touched... this was far more disturbing and unsettling. I wasn't even safe in my own home anymore.

Peter told me to get out of the house, keep living life, and don't let this fear control me. However, you guys know I don't like to listen to him. While I agreed with him and put my fear aside, I was still shook up and shocked over everything. I needed more time to myself, so I remained in the house these past few days since I spoke with him. It wasn't just a safe place, but one to hide from everything and all these problems. Not anymore though. That false sense of safety was entirely gone.

Rushing over through the rain, Jamie grabbed my shoulders and searched my eyes. He was quick to make sure I was okay. He was quick to reassure me I was safe now. He was also quick to block the body from sight and lay his jacket over it – for any potential witness's sake and mine. Jamie sweetly guided me inside. He grabbed us each a towel after finding where they were stored (since I was too shocked to do it myself), and we dried off in the kitchen. Well, he dried off. I could only stand there and drip.

"Jos, trust me, everything is fine now. You're safe."

My eyes were stuck on the pooling rainwater dripping down my legs. "No, I'm not."