10 : Was It All Worth It

Start from the beginning

"This is nothing to do with me, I'm going back to work." She deflected and walked away, seemingly with no intent to turn back.

"Go on, then," The Doctor waved. "See ya!"

Swiftly, she turned back on her heels. "I can't just leave you, can I?" The amount of times she was changing her mind was giving EJ a severe case of whiplash.

"If you want to be useful, get them to turn the heating down," Rose complained, frustrated as she sorted through some of the wires in the panel. "It's boiling."

"I'll get a tan from all this exposure." The blonde boy chuckled to himself. No one laughed with him.

  "What's the matter with this place?" She continued. "Can't they do something about it?"

  "I dunno." Cathica shrugged. "We keep asking. Something to do with the turbines."

  The Doctor mocked with a stupid voice. "Something to do with the turbines."

  "I don't know!"

  "Exactly!" He shook his head, disappointed. "I give up on you, Cathica. Now Rose, look at Rose, Rose is asking the right kind of questions."

  "I thank you." She grinned.

  EJ frowned. "I do not."

  "Why is it so hot?"

  Cathica didn't seem to be impressed by all of the swift topic changes. "One minute you're worried about the Empire, the next minute it's the central heating!"

  "Never underestimate plumbing." The Doctor stated, pulling out some of the wires completely, and grimacing slightly. "Plumbings very important."

  "Exactly." EJ sighed. "It goes plumbing, Empire, then that massive fat head."

  As he pulled out a screen, and watched as the blueprints illuminated it. "Here we go. Satellite Five. Pipes and plumbing. Look at the layout."

  "This is ridiculous." Cathica's eyes widened, disgusted. "You've got access to the computers core. You could look at the archive, the news, the stock exchange... and you're looking at pipes?"

  "But there's something wrong..."

  "I suppose..." She drawled, her mind running faster than it had yet.

  "Why?" Rose queried. "What is it?"

  "The ventilation system. Cooling ducts. Ice filters. All working flat out. Channelling massive amount of heat down."

  The Doctor agreed. "All the way from the top."

  "Floor 500." Rose announced, catching on.

  "Something up there is generating tons and tons of heat."

  "I'm betting it's an alien." EJ tapped his foot on the ground, feeling himself getting ever so slightly excited. "I hope it's got a massive head."

  "Will you stop it with the massive head?" The Doctor raised his eyebrows, earning a shake of his head.

  He replied, swiftly. "Don't think so."

  "Don't know about you, but I feel like I'm missing out in a party." Rose grinned, a light laugh leaving her lips. "It's all going on upstairs."

  "Should we go dancing?" EJ joked. "Got me MP3 player."

  "Fancy a trip?" She asked the Doctor who was unable to reply because Cathica cut them off.

  "You can't. You need a key."

  "Keys are just codes. And I've got the codes right here. Here we go." The Doctor leant against the wall and pressed a button on his sonic which revealed a number dial ever changing until it settled at the number 215.9976/31. "Override 215.9."