Chapter EX I: Song and Sky

"I wonder how they are now?", Shirabe muttered as she strummed her guitar, trying to come up with song lyrics. Beside her is Mir, who is carefully wiping away specks of dust lying at the edge of her sword's blade.

Their meeting was quite unexpected, as they just happened to meet each other as the guitarist saw the other's footsteps one day, followed her through the desert, and abruptly tackled Mir in annoyance.

Although they don't really talk to each other at first, they are slowly becoming more open about their thoughts as time passes, especially on how they are even here in the first place.

Strumming her guitar again, she opened her mouth wide, her voice roaring out once more. The song started off like rushing ocean waves, until a whisper kicked in.

"Glass butterfly."

Then the chorus followed, and Shirabe's singing becomes more harsher same with her playing. Despite almost losing her voice, she still shouted far and away, even it was pointless to do so. Mir, who was with her the whole time, can't help but hum along.

Wanting to reach to, no, meet someone again. The answer to someone's question way back before her arrival in this world.

Or is it what these lyrics are conveying? No, can't be right...

"Reflection eternal..."

The guitarist swiftly switched her focus towards the song's guitar solo, making sure hit every note right.

Hit... the notes... right?

"Why do I feel, that I have heard this melody before? Or is it from the scenery inside those shards?", Shirabe thought as she recalled her encounters with countless glass shards.

It doesn't matter to her now, for sure that she will have an audience once again, beside than her newfound friend of course.

"Flayed memories."

Shirabe then shouted once again, unknowingly reaching someone from not so far away.

- - - - -

"Charon? Is there something that piqued your curiosity?", Lagrange asked her companion, who was flying towards a faint sound of a guitar.

The two happened to wander at the white desert, constantly searching for a way to reach out to the girl beyond the skies. It is just a coincidence that the "astrologer" is here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But that song does ring a bell, what was it about again?

"...I still want to see you. The words that the girl in white kept repeating in her mind, despite already worn out from the struggles she had faced. Will she ever find happiness from beneath those thick clouds—"

Static noise suddenly echoed to her ears, causing her to lose consciousness. Charon immediately flew over her, glint of worry seen in their eyes.

Tap, tap, tap. The sound of boots unintentionally hitting each other.

An "angel" gazes upon Lagrange's face, her fingers gently tracing the girl's lips. She smiled warmly, reminiscing the first time she saw her while in the Void. Not that she cared about her, but since that was one of her first memories after awakening, she has no choice but to simply remember them.

Switching her attention to the skies above, she frowned, as a drop of dark blue falls towards the earth.

"So beyond these skies, was that? Make me laugh."

- - - - -

All she can see is the ground slowly enlarging in her eyes. Yup, she is falling to her death.

Does she even have the energy to summon something? She doesn't know.

All that she can think about right now, is killing herself.