Chapter Thirty-Eight - Departure

Start from the beginning

She opted for a loose, purple cotton set, slipping into the comfortable and breathable fabric. Once dressed, she covered herself with the matching sweater, completing the cozy and stylish ensemble. The color complemented her complexion, enhancing her natural beauty.

"Is that bag packed?" I asked, gesturing towards the black duffel bag resting on the couch. Olivia nodded in affirmation, confirming that she had indeed prepared and packed the necessary items. While she took care of tidying up the remaining mess in the room, I observed her efficiency and determination, appreciating her attention to detail and readiness for our departure.

"I'll take the bags to the car," I offered, taking the initiative to handle the task. "If you need anything, just give me a call. I'll be quick," I reassured her, wanting to alleviate any concerns she might have. With a sense of responsibility and efficiency, I made my way towards the door, ready to ensure a smooth transition as we prepared to leave the hospital.

"Okay, hurry," She requested. "Please..." She added quickly.

As I made my way down the hallway, the bags filling my arms, a light chuckle escaped my lips in response to Olivia's correction. Despite the laughter, I couldn't help but feel a deep sense of happiness knowing that she was finally going home. However, a part of me appreciated the constant monitoring and care she received from the doctors during her time in the hospital. It provided a sense of reassurance, knowing that if anything were to happen, they would be right there, always prepared to offer their assistance and expertise.

Arriving at the parking garage, I paused for a moment, taking a deep breath to gather my thoughts and refocus my mindset. Amidst the challenges and uncertainties, I reminded myself of the positives that awaited Olivia at the penthouse. She would be in a comfortable bed, surrounded by familiar surroundings and under my care. I found solace in the fact that she would be safer there than anywhere else, and that sense of security helped ease my concerns. With this comforting thought in mind, I proceeded towards the car, determined to bring her home and create a safe and nurturing environment for her.

Having swiftly packed the bags into the trunk of the car, I felt a sense of urgency to return to Olivia's side. There was a longing within me, a yearning to be near her again, even if it had only been a short while since we parted. Furthermore, I had promised her that I would be quick, and I wanted to fulfill that promise. Determined and filled with anticipation, I hastened my steps, eager to see her again.

Upon my return to the room, I was greeted not only by Olivia but also by Layla and Natalie. The unexpected presence of two additional guests caught me off guard, momentarily overwhelming me. However, I quickly gathered my composure, reminding myself to remain welcoming and composed. With a warm smile, I greeted Layla and Natalie, acknowledging their presence and expressing my gratitude for their support. Despite the initial surprise, I was determined to make everyone feel comfortable and navigate the situation with grace.

"Hi, Aaron," Natalie greeted me with a warm smile as I pulled her into a gentle side hug. It was a familiar and affectionate gesture, acknowledging our bond and friendship. Despite the initial overwhelm of the situation, connecting with Natalie provided a sense of familiarity and comfort. With a genuine expression of care, I engaged in a brief moment of connection before turning my attention to Layla and Olivia, curious about the conversation they were engrossed in.

Seeing Layla returning her phone to her pocket and rising from the bed, I recognized her intention to help Olivia stand. Without hesitation, I swiftly moved to the side of Olivia's bed, positioning myself to assist them both. With careful attention and a supportive stance, I extended my hand to Olivia, offering her the stability she needed to rise. Together, the three of us worked in unison, ensuring Olivia's comfort and safety as we prepared to leave the hospital room.

"I had it, Aaron," Layla snapped, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I bet you did." I said sarcastically. "But I'd rather not take the chances of my wife falling on the ground." Natalie snorted from behind Layla and Layla shushed her.

As soon as Olivia was on her feet, I noticed her small bag that contained her essentials. Understanding the significance of those items and wanting to ease her burden, I quickly picked up the bag, ensuring that her cellphone, chapstick, book, and my keys were safely secured. By taking responsibility for the bag, I aimed to alleviate any additional stress or discomfort Olivia might have experienced while moving.

As Olivia glanced around the room, I could sense a mix of emotions and perhaps a hint of hesitation. Wanting to provide reassurance, I asked her if she was ready, offering my support and understanding. I stood by her side, ready to assist her in any way needed, whether it was physically or emotionally.

"Ready." She confirmed.