chapter two

James scribbled continuously on his answer booklet with full concentration and soon he put  a finishing touch to his pappers, he read through twice making sure there were no errors.

In his opinion biology was way too simple to be wasting time on, and he felt WAEC just wanted to make things easier  for them because, this definitely can't be an examination questions especially an exam of such high standard. Maybe he had over prepared oh cause the way some of his class mates and some external students were chewing their pen...

"Are you done" the invigilator asked as  James walked towards him with his answer booklet

"Yes sir"he replied confidently

The other members of the class looked surprisingly at him, mubbling words and  their surprised expressions made him felt like he had suddenly grew horns

"Dullards" he thought scrunching his nose at their sudden outburst

"Quite!!!" The invigilator yelled

"Isn't he your classmate, infact you have thirty minutes left"he said standing up as he walked through each roles of seat to ensure compliance to the  rules given prior to the examination.

"Sir am done"ivie said as she  stood up also
"Wow... was she  trying to compete with him" he thought, sizing her up with his eyes as he walked  past her to the door.

She could see Cynthia beckoning on her to sit so she would help out with some questions. "God forbid, it not me you will put in trouble " she thought.

Ivie pretended not to have noticed her and walked quickly out of the examination hall.

Cynthia was one of the dullards in her class, worst still was her sense of entitlement,she acts  as though it was her birthright to helped during a test or an examination. She could  go aggressive if you fail to do so, it happened that  on a fateful day her and her useless minions had ambushed Ade,the class most intelligent student back then (James took that title from her), for not helping  her out with her  tests when she asked her to which  resulted in her falling mathematics,they gave ade the beating of her, it not like she cared anyway, ade was a proud fellow who looks down on anyone,  tho for all she care  Cynthia's actions were extreme.

Ade parents had brought the police to school the following day and it took the intervention of the staff and management to plead on her behalf and every since then she had lived in Ade's shadow.

Cynthia bit  her fingers in frustration,she couldn't afford to fail her dad will have her head, he had threatened to send her to learn hairdressing if she fails to make her papers. She boiled with anger when she saw  Ivie smiling triumphantly..."this girl" she thought

Ivie came out of the classroom and took a short walk to the open field,she sat down heavily  on one of the  benches in the  school field, she had to wait for amenze to finish first before going and God knows she would be here for another one hours, Amenze is a slow writer and takes time in doing her things.

She looked to her left and found James sitting not too far off, she  looked away quickly when he caught her staring

"Whoa, why did she do that? well let just say he is appealing to look upon" she thought as the embarrassment of being caught starring hit her hard.

"Ok just said something to ease the tension and also use this as an opportunity to apologize for your attitude the other day" she said to  herself and then she  counted to twenty before summoning the courage to go talk to him

"James" she called out almost inaudible

She waited  another two minutes and when she didn't get a response she decided to try her out her luck again this time walking towards him