Duncan x Courtney Neighbour AU

Start from the beginning

"I am not a nerd," Courtney rolled her eyes, her head shifting back to face him again. She knew that avoiding eye contact would give the impression she was intimidated. "I have an affinity to academia."

Duncan laughed again, his amusement reaching his eyes as he did so. "Only a nerd would say that, Princess," Courtney dug her nails into her palm, "No normal person knows what 'affinity' means."

"You know how I can tell you're a nerd?" Duncan tilted his head, and Courtney couldn't help but have her curiosity piqued.

"How am I a nerd then, Duncan?" She sighed disinterestedly, her arms crossing even tighter around her chest.

"You've got the same glasses that librarians wear in the movies," He laughed again. It occurred to Courtney that he was always in a perpetually humoured mood. "with the little beads attached to them as well!"

Her body tensed up in anger, and Courtney felt like she weighed an extra 50 pounds. Her jaw clenched, and if she didn't diffuse her anger, she was sure she'd start growling. She didn't know why his jeers affected her so much- the power imbalance, PMS, tension?

She didn't want to elaborate on which type of tension.

Duncan broke the silence, and Courtney's brief episode of overthinking. "So, uh, can you throw me my ball back, Courtney? Courtney's your name, right?"

He didn't even know my name? She thought, scowling deeply. "Yes, Courtney is my name."

"Do you promise not to kick it at the wall, or be as loud as you were?" Courtney's voice softened, but traces of her annoyance were ever present. "I'm trying to study."

"I know," Duncan smirked, his head gesturing not-so-subtly towards his basketball. "I've seen you in your room, sat at your desk for, what, 7 hours?"

"Creep." Courtney blurted out with a high-pitched scoff.

"You've got a big-ass window right where you were sitting, don't blame me," Duncan raised his hands defensively, and caught himself on the edges of the wall before he fell. Courtney had to look up at him, due to the wall's 6.5ft stature. "can I have my ball back now? Please?"

She muttered something derogatory under her breath, but obliged to his request. She trotted over to the wildflower bed, where Duncan had kicked the ball. She picked it up, outstretching her arms so the dusty ball didn't touch her v-neck. Courtney positioned herself to throw it over the wall, grimacing as she held it in front of her.

"Wait," Duncan interrupted again. At least Courtney now knew what Duncan had an affinity for. Interrupting people. "Come to the wall, stand up on that Vespa and hand it over to me."

"I can just throw it," Courtney tried to assure him, positioning herself to launch the ball. "Give me a moment."

"If you throw that ball, you're gonna send it right through one of those windows, which happen to belong to my parents," Duncan sighed, shaking his head at Courtney's insistence. He seemed to be stood on something now. "Frankly, I don't wanna be blamed for something I didn't do."

"Wow!" Courtney cackled, with mock surprise. "The neanderthal properly utilised the word frankly!"

"Neanderthal? You and your obnoxiously big brain couldn't come up with something more, y'know, scary?" Duncan looked sort of offended at her nickname. "Just c'mere already, give me my ball."