Chapter One | A Beginning (Part 2 of 3)

Magsimula sa umpisa

          …And proceed to continue feeding the mouse, despite your now second warning of how dangerous that is, no matter the precautions they've taken.

          Knowing it's a lost battle, you take a second to write down 'schedule discipline lessons' on your impromptu to-do list, rewritten on the back of an advertisement for not-so cheap perfumes. And while you're a hundred percent sure there's stuff you've forgotten from the original list on your broken phone and drenched notebook, it's better than starting from zero, and you're just glad your memory hasn't failed you that badly yet. At the very least, you've written down the essentials for this week, and that should be enough for now. 

          Maybe you will forget something super important, but that's a problem for another day.

          "Don't waste your snacks like that," you scold, crouching in front of the nearby pile of boxes in search of the one marked with 'toiletries'. "We don't have time to go grocery shopping today, and I'm sure there aren't any places like that nearby."

          "There's a pizza place, a diner, and Sans owns that grocery store across the street, but I think it's closed today," Frisk replies, grinning. "I'm sure he'll let you in early if you're nice enough. Or I can try to sneak in." Their ears perk as they giggle. "Or we can wait until it opens, and eat pizza today!"

          You search through the organized mess for a towel, soap, shampoo, perfume, sanitary pads, roll-on deodorant, and toilet paper, plus cleaning cloths and disinfectant products from a different box labelled with 'cleaning supplies' when reminded of how much work is due.

          And once you check all that out of your mental list of things you will need simply for a quick shower, you close both boxes and pick them up – toiletries above the cleaning supplies.

          "We can talk about that later," you say, standing up. "I'm, um… I'm gonna leave the bathroom door open, just in case…"

          "In case you see a spider or something. I know, mom."

           Sighing, you brace yourself for a quick clean up, yet – for once in this entire day – you're pleasantly surprised to see the bathroom's the cleanest place, brick rubble, soap scum, and liner mildew the three biggest enemies to deal with, and these can be dealt with later .

          Currently, you simply want that 'earth' smell gone from your body.

          "Don't open the door for anyone unless I tell you to. Got that?" you call out, setting the boxes down next to the shower, keeping just enough distance so as to not dampen them with stray drops.

          From the same corner of the room they have been in since you arrived here, Frisk gives you a thumbs up.

          They're now feeding a smaller mouse the second half of their cheese stick, though you accept that as another lost battle, plus a third (...Or fourth? You've lost count.) reminder of how you need to work with their behaviour in the near future.

          "Be careful, alright? I'll be done in a few minutes. You can wash your hands when I'm done here… And when you're done playing with those mice."

          They nod.

          Finally, they stand up, stretch out, and sit on one of the cardboard boxes, kicking their legs back and forth as they wait.

          "I won't move from here. Promise."

          "I'll take your word for it, dear."