⛸️| CHAPTER 9

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

I wish I could say practice was fun, but Valerie makes it hard to do that. I was running laps with Hayden around the field house while the starting players practiced. "Jocelyn! Hayden! Get over here!" Coach Sabrina yelled out to us.

Hayden and I looked at each other confused before jogging over to her. "Yes coach?" I said, placing my hands on my hips.

"Get your sticks, I want you two to be prepared if I need you to start a game or two," she told us. Hayden and I glanced at each other before rushing over to our things and grabbing our sticks and eye masks.

I ran out to the field as I shoved my mouth guard in. We had to be more intense with our reflexes since we were playing with more experienced players. While we played, Coach Sabrina pointed at Charlie, the other goal keeper. "Charlie, I'm going to let Valerie sub in for you! Get in there!" Coach said. Of course.

I had to focus on the game and not her, but I could feel her eyes burning a hole in the back of my skull. One of the senior attackers, Madelyn, came running at me, so I began to defend her. She went behind the X zone so I wasn't able to follow her. I wasn't paying attention so I didn't realize how close I was to the goal, but Valerie clearly did. She chucked me in the back of my legs with her stick causing me to fall over as the back of my legs throbbed. I made hard contact with the ground and groaned. I heard Coach Sabrina's yelling, but not specifically what she was saying as I got back on my feet.

"Watch out, Jocelyn," she spewed. I turned around and glared at her. With a quick motion, I dropped my stick and shoved her as hard as I could. She fell back onto the ground as the other girls circled us. I wasn't even thinking when I pushed her, I just did.

Hayden pushed me away from the scene and got in my face. "Stop it!" she yelled. "Are you out of your mind?!"

Some of the other players went to Valerie's side. "Oh, please! You're nothing special!" she yelled out to me.

"Valerie!" Assistant coach Justin shouted.

"Trust me, neither are you!" I blurted back. Coach Sabrina sent me to the locker room so I could cool off while she talked to Valerie. I grabbed my stick off the ground and stormed to the locker room. Hayden followed after me, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"You can't let your emotions get the best of you," she said. "She's not worth your time." She got what was coming for her, I wanted to say. She hit me in the legs, I wasn't about to let her walk all over me. She was pathetic. But the way I acted was also pathetic. Now the embarrassment settled in. I threw my eye mask off my head in a swift motion and let out an agitated yell.

We made it back to the locker room and I plopped down on a bench. I threw my lacrosse stick and groaned. I brought my legs up to my chest and placed my chin on my knees. "She's such a bitch! I hate her so much!" I yelled. I sounded funny since my mouth guard was in, so I took them out.