⛸️| CHAPTER 1

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

"Did you see the look on my mother's face when you picked up that box of textbooks?" I laughed. It was hard to believe that my graduation was only a couple months ago and now I was here at the University of Michigan. It was also hard to believe I played lacrosse for the UMich team. The hardest thing to believe was that I was at the same college as my life long best friend, Luke.

About a week ago, he came over to my dorm to help me and my moms unpack my things. Luke had been attending UMich for a year now, meanwhile I was brand new. "Christina cried so hard, I felt so bad." Luke had a soft spot for my mother, Christina, while I was more fond of my mom, Laura.

My mother always liked Luke more than the other Hughes boys growing up. She always claimed he was the one who I would marry. She was a very firm believer in love at first sight.

When Luke started dating Kelsey near the end of his senior year, she said, "Oh, time will only tell." She was more delusional about this non existent relationship than I was, and I was the one who actually had feelings for him. When I told her the news about Luke and Kelsey breaking up, she was more than excited. "I knew this day would come! Next is the wedding!"

We made it up to the front of the line at the coffee shop and ordered our drinks. I got a caramel iced latte while Luke ordered a mocha iced coffee.

Classic Luke, he always loved chocolate.

He paid for our drinks and we moved out of the way. "So where am I taking you to before I go to practice?" Luke asked, looking down at me with a smile.

"You're taking me to the Hatcher North library," I replied while mimicking the same smile he had on his face. "Asher's gonna go over the class rubric with me since we have the same freshman seminar class."

Luke nodded his head and scoffed, "God, I hated my freshman seminar class. I had Duker, Ethan, Mark, and Johnny in that class, the professor absolutely hated us."

I let out a loud laugh that caused people to look at me sideways. Flushed with embarrassment, I lowered my voice and said, "I believe that. Especially you and Johnny? That's a mess."

After a while of us talking, the barista called out Luke's names as he placed down our two drinks. Luke grabbed his and handed mine to me. "There you go," he said.

I smiled as I grabbed a straw and shoved it into the hole in the lid. We left the coffee shop and made our way towards the library. While I wore myMichigan tote bag, Luke wore his backpack which held some of his hockey gear in it. Most of it was in the locker room since he said it was easier having a set he has at his place and a set at the rink. Smart. He's so smart.

He spent a majority of the walk explaining some stuff about campus and just basic freshman etiquette and advice. For example, don't skip too many lectures, ask your professor questions, you don't need to ask to go to the bathroom, that type of stuff. Just the basic stuff you find on those TikTok advice videos. I knew the information he was telling me, but I wanted him to feel like he was educating me somehow. "So, are you heading to my game tomorrow?" He asked.

Really weird turn, but I wasn't shocked. "Of course I am. I would be stupid not to," I laughed.

He smiled in response to that. "Yeah, you would be." I rolled my eyes and playfully shoved him, causing a giggle to erupt from him. The authentic smile I was able to form on his face made me proud of myself. At moments like these, I felt transparent. Like he could read every expression on my face and know about my obvious crush on him.

Before I knew it, we were at Hatcher North. I turned to him and waved, "See ya, Luke!" He waved bye to me and began his walk to the Yost Ice Arena. I snuck a glance back at him and watched as he stuck his Airpods in his ears. I then made my way inside the library and went on the hunt for Asher. I pulled out my phone and texted him.

Asher 🥺

Hey
Where are u

2A floor

I rushed to where he texted me and found him at a study table. A smile grew on his face when he spotted me. "Hey!" he said before his eyes landed on my coffee. He gasped, "You have to give me a sip."

I scoffed, "Buy your own." I sat down next to him and placed my drink and bag down.

He analyzed the cup before glaring at me. "Didn't know your name was Luke now" Asher was quick when it came to comebacks. He's snarky and charismatic. That's what I love about him.

Asher Smith and I had been friends since high school, he was one of the first people to hear about my crush on Luke. At first he didn't care because he thought it would blow over, but now we're in college and he knows it's here to stay.

I rolled my eyes at his sarcastic comeback. "Shut up," I laughed and slid the drink over to him. "One sip." He clapped his hands together and took a decent sized sip. At least he didn't chug.

We went over the rubric for a bit which was really boring. I didn't understand why there were so many expectations for this class. I thought I only had to take a freshman seminar class during my freshman year of highschool... not college.

I was used to tuning Asher's voice out. It was what I did a majority of high school when he went all group leader on every assignment we did together. While Asher read out the rubric, I thought about Luke's game. I was so used to going to his games, but for some reason the way he asked me felt different.

It sounded like he was begging me to go. Maybe I was being crazy like usual, but there was a tone in his voice that made the question sound desperate in a way. No, you're crazy. I thought as I stared at the laptop screen.

I jumped out of my skin when Asher slammed his laptop shut after reading it all. "Finally done," he groaned as he stretched. He checked the time on his watch and announced, "It's 6:35. Wanna head to the dining hall?"

I shrugged, "Yeah. I could eat." I grabbed my bag and threw the empty cup away on the way out. I shoved my hands in my hoodie's pockets as we walked to the dining hall.

I still had the thought of going to Luke's game engraved in my mind, it was all I could think about. "Hey, Asher?" I looked over at him. He looked down at me with his eyebrows slightly raised. "Would you wanna go to a hockey game with me tomorrow night?"

He cracked a smile as he cocked his head to the side. "Why?"

I looked ahead and shook my head. "It's just that Luke wanted me to go and I don't want to be there by myself. I don't really know a lot of people on campus other than you and Hayden, you know?" I responded.

"Hm," he hummed. His chin crinkled as he thought about the answer. "Why not? I'm a little puck bunny myself."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Asher, you are so weird!"

"What? I'm telling the truth! Those boys are fine!!" He laughed. He was kinda right, but my attention was only focused on Luke and his smile that made my stomach turn in knots.

A/N; I wrote this fanfic a while ago when the devils were still in it. I kinda forgot abt it and then out of no where I kept getting edits of Luke on my fyp it's literally a sign